Saturday, 31 October 2015

Ready for love. . .

I am ready for love
Why are you hiding from me
I'd quickly give my freedom
To be held in your captivity. . . 

I love this song.  To my knowledge, it isn't one of the more famous of India Arie's songs but it is an extremely poignant and hauntingly beautiful song.  The lovely blend of the acoustic, piano and cello/double bass all lend itself to capturing the heart strings that I believe are tugged quite extensively in this track.  I like the way in which the instruments accent specific parts of the song by filling in where the vocal line ends, offering some countermelodies and motifs that help to give the song some texture and harmonic effect.

I am ready for love
All of the joy and the pain
And all the time that it takes
Just to stay in your good grace

Being ready for love means that you must be prepared to take the good with the bad.  If you only wanted all of the good parts of love - you're not getting an accurate picture of what it means to fight for love, when to fight for yourself within that love, particularly when you fall out of love.  Is it becoming much easier these days to fall out of love than fall into it?  Is it because society teaches us some romanticised views of how we should see love?  Being ready love means that you must also be prepared to invest the time and energy to sustain that love, so that whenever obstacles start to loom in your path, you can respond to anything this journey of love throws at you.

Lately I've been thinking
Maybe you're not ready for me
Maybe you think I need to learn maturity
They say watch what you ask for
Cause you might receive
But if you ask me tomorrow
I'll say the same thing

What do potential partners say about you?  Is it much easier for them to say things about you, rather than say things about themselves?  I find it fascinating when we play this little dance, when there is that unbalance that can exist for a whole host of reasons; but the key thing that remains is that we need to be able to communicate openly, be honest enough that we can handle our own pride and egos without resorting to malice or other misinformed intentions that will threaten to eclipse any learning that you were supposed to gain from such experiences.  If they keep popping up for you, then it means that you didn't adequately deal with those issues in the first instances that were presented to you.



I am ready for love
Would you please lend me your ear?
I promise I won't complain
I just need you to acknowledge that I am here

The chorus of the song has all of the hallmarks of a woman in the throes of her confession, admitting to her willingness to reveal her feelings to her love interest, maybe just to the world in general.  If you're like me, a (relatively) young widow, you cam't imagine yourself being ready for love, let alone ready to face each new day that brings with it, another reminder of life without love.  But I must say, that I don't think it's healthy, the longer that I have survived and the longer he is gone from this world - to close yourself from love, irrespective of what shape or form it might come - handed to you, or your stumble across, or you didn't realise it was under your nose the whole time and you don't quite know what to do with it.

If you give me half a chance
I'll prove this to you
I will be patient, kind and true
To a man who loves music
A man who loves art
Respect the spirit's world
And thinks with his heart

The melismatic treatment of heart at the end of this verse makes me think about how much we feel with this beloved organ.  We are taught to believe and understand that the heart holds all of the love that we are meant to pour out to one another - especially to the sole object of our affections, passion and fidelity.  However, I think it is also totally possible to be ready to love so many different types of people who give you pieces or segments of what touches you personally - someone who loves music, another who loves art, another who respects the spirit world, while another thinks with his heart.  It's hard to find everything that ticks all of your boxes in one complete tidy neat little (actually big not little) package of a man.

I am ready for love
If you'll take me in your hands
I will learn what you teach
And do the best that I can

When we want to change somebody, we must first be able to get them to be able to confront who they currently are - what is it that they bring to the table of your relationship?  Are they happy being who they are?  Do they want your support to be able to do something that they are scared to achieve?  If so. take your time.  It takes a lot to be able to trust anybody if you are unfamiliar with how to be taught, especially if you are not a teachable person to begin with.  How are you meant to improve your self-belief if you won't let others believe in your potential first?  I honestly believe that you learn more about yourself and your self expectations if you are able to acknowledge what the other person can see for themselves too; and it's also the best way to grow together.

I am ready for love
Here with an offering of
My voice
My eyes
My soul
My mind

To me this simple list reveal the greatest things that you can offer someone to show that you are ready for love - things that reveal the truest form of you, the best version of yourself - your voice, eyes, soul and mind.  What things can you offer to bring?  What are the things that you are able to do with what you have on offer?  How do you know that it's enough?  I think the reason this list of things about you, shows me that they are the very things that are essential ingredients in the recipe for being ready for love - a voice to speak up, eyes to see what's really going on, your soul to know if you can become soul mates and finally your mind so that you can connect it with your voice to be able to speak your mind.

Tell me what is enough
To prove I am ready for love

I am ready. . .