Saturday, 10 October 2015

Rainy days and Mondays. . .

Talkin' to myself and feelin' old
Sometimes I'd like to quit
Nothin' ever seems to fit
Hangin' around
Nothin' to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

I guess you never really notice that you feel old unless you're surrounded by people younger than yourself.  It's easy to get that way especially here in Aotearoa at the moment as the school holidays are drawing to a close and we've been seeing more children wandering around either in packs with other friends or with their parents or caregivers roaming the shopping malls or doing activities together.  Do you ever feel like quitting though?  I guess it also depends on what it is that you think that you need to quit.  It might be something that you're always finding yourself doing that you reluctantly realise doesn't bring you any joy or as much satisfaction as it might have had in the past.



What I've got they used to call the blues
Nothin' is really wrong
Feelin' like I don't belong
Won't get around
Some kind of lonely clown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

This is the challenge we face though right?  There is nothing really wrong with our lives, I mean, we should be absolutely grateful for what we have and be aware of the fact that we want for nothing - we have houses to live in, food to eat, people who care about us, things to do if we feel like doing them - yet we feel a certain dissatisfaction.  Is it the greyness of rainy days and not being exposed to the sun that brings on the sadness in that respect?  Is it maybe the Mondays that get you down because it's the start of the working week and the thought of beginning another week at work gets you down?  If that's the case - find a new job that makes your heart sing!

Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you
Nice to know somebody loves me
Funny but it seems like it's the only thing to do
Run and find the one who loves me (the one who loves me)

There is certain comfort that comes with being able to return 'home' to a person.  There might be a person that makes you feel loved or who you run to so that you feel loved; particularly when you come across those rainy days and Mondays that threaten to throw you off course and make you question yourself, your choices, how you live your life and whether you have a purpose or mission that is worth pursuing.  I recently read that you need to keep those people who stimulate your  intellectual, emotional, artistic or spiritual growth are worth keeping and not to let them go.  I think if you can find someone who does these things for you, it is no wonder that you always wind up there with them :-)

What I feel has come and gone before
No need to talk it out
We know what it's all about
Hangin' around
Nothin' to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

I hope that when you do feel down, that you don't stay down for long.
It's ok to feel down sometimes and fully immerse yourself in your melancholy, like a place that you go and visit and admire the artwork on the walls of a museum or gallery or seeing your favourite sad memories that help you to release the 'ugly cry' that you try to keep locked up inside.

I mean, just remember that there are sunny days and other days of the week to look forward to after all :-)