Sunday, 11 October 2015

Never too much. . .

This track is a song request from +Alex Hotere-Barnes 

SoulFest15 is heading to Aotearoa soon and I'm really looking forward to it.  I haven't been to a live music concert since Fatai earlier in the year (or wait, it was last year!) but I have been to some classical music concerts so that's about the total sum of live music attendances this year (pretty sad, yes I know) but I am looking forward to getting in amongst the mix at the end of the month.  I am not a particular fan of large crowds of people (in fact I really hate it and try to avoid it as much as possible, there is some anxiety about that I think), so this probably explains why I prefer attending intimate music gatherings instead.  I've written about Luther Vandross in previous blog posts (see The Impossible Dream).

I can't fool myself, I don't want nobody else to ever love me
You are my shinin' star, my guiding light, my love fantasy
There's not a minute, hour, day or night that I don't love you
You're at the top of my list 'cause I'm always thinkin' of you

There's nothing that gets me like a sexy bass line and this song definitely has that.  The combination of the rhythmic section with all of their unique sections, once combined, gives you a fair idea of how important it is to be able to not only play your own independent part with technical skill and expertise, but that you also need to be able to have that ensemble awareness that comes from listening well to others around you so that you sound like a complete unit.  Pretty much a metaphor for life really right?  You need to be able to work independently but when it calls for it - you have to be a team player as well.  Even if you have no say in the team that you work in, just work anyway :-) 

I still remember in the days when I was scared to touch you
How I spent my day dreamin' plannin' how to say I love you
You must have known that I had feelings deep enough to swim in
That's when you opened up your heart and you told me to come in

Musically this song interests me because of the instrumentation and how the song is arranged overall.  I like the way the verses are quite busy with the vocal lead rushing forward with all of the lyrics as if he is confessing some feelings to someone for the first time, but only because the other party has revealed that they have feelings too.  I guess that's the gamble that you take - whether you can sense someone is trying to tell you something or is waiting for you to reveal something before they feel confident to reciprocate.  It's human nature and we either have the courage to take things "there" or not.  There's no wrong or right way - it just totally depends on the individuals involved.


Woke up today. looked at your picture just to get me started
I called you up, but you weren't there and I was broken hearted
Hung up the phone, can't be too late, the boss is so demandin'
Opened up the door and to my surprise there you were standin'

It's important that you surround yourself with things and people that will bring a smile to your face.  It's important that you keep in touch with them because you never know when you will need your support crew.  As demanding as people become, in all of the contexts that you walk in, just remember that ultimately you have choices to make that put your first in terms of what you need to do.  It is a hard lesson to learn to be at your optimum because you are too generous and free with your giving heart that you lose sight of who you are anymore because you try to do too much for others.  So keep surprising people that you care about, people that you love - even when they're not fans of surprises.  I would take surprises over shocks any day!

Well who needs to go to work to hustle for another dollar
I'd rather be with you 'cause you make my heart scream and holler
Love is a gamble and I'm so glad that I'm winnin'
We've come a long way and this is only the beginnin'

The background vocals feature more in this verse.  I'm pretty good at people watching.  Are you?  I've noticed that when people dance at clubs or bars (wherever people go to dance these days) there are three distinct types of people:
1) you either lose yourself in the music and just dance (or do interpretative/contemporary dance)
2) you sing along to all the lyrics in the song and do actions to all of the lyrics (action song) or
3) you don't dance at all and just stand there watching other people do the above.

Oh, my love
A thousand kisses from you is never too much
I just don't wanna stop

Oh my love
A million days in your arms is never too much
I just don't wanna stop

I hope that however you choose to dance (or sing or mime or however it is you choose to enjoy music), that you don't forget to groove along and just feel the music for what it is - just to enjoy.  As much as Ive been writing so much about these songs, there are some songs where the sole meaning you can glean from them is just the pure enjoyment of how it sounds and how those sounds make you feel, rather than the words.  After all, whatever and however you decide is never too much, never too much, never too much, never too much. . .