Sunday, 11 October 2015

It might be you. . .

Recognisable as the theme song to Tootsie, I've also been a huge admirer of Dustin Hoffman's work over the years, watching his movies as a child.  He is right up there for me with Robin Williams, Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg as key actors from my childhood (amongst a whole host of others of course, I mean gees, our TV sets were the best babysitters back then).

Time, I've been passing, time watching trains go by
All of my life lying on the sand, watching seabirds fly
Wishing there could be someone waiting home for me
Something's telling me it might be you
It's telling me it might be you all of my life

Do you get like that sometimes?  You spend time just watching things around you and not really thinking too heavily about anything but you just let your mind wander?  You probably don't think too much about anyone waiting at home for you because you're not interested in that at all.  I just happen to really like this song; it's one of what I would call "pretty" songs that I like to play and listen to the instruments especially in the background.  In the track that I've saved on my Spotify playlist, I particularly like the shuffle of the drums and the octave melodic motif played above the vocal lead in the chorus.  The vocal echoes in the background seem to act as whispers of confirmation.

Looking back as lovers go walking past all of my life
Wondering how they met and what makes it last
If I found the place, would I recognise the face?
Something's telling me it might be you
It's telling me it might be you all of my life

There is definitely something about finding yourself in different places.  I think often about when you arrive at a new place or location that you haven't been in before.  I remember a survey once that asked if you went somewhere new, it asked you about how you would approach the room, whether you walked in confidently and didn't mind being the centre of attention, walked in and aimed for the nearest corner so that you could do some people-watching of your own, or you walked in looking for someone that you knew so that you could start to relax.  Would you be able to recognise your own face by the end of the night?  Would you be able to look at your own face at the end of the night?


So many quiet walks to take
So many dreams to wake
And we've so much love to make
Oh I think we're gonna need some time
Maybe all we need is time

And it's telling me it might be you all of my life

I like quiet walks.  They give you the space to consider situations from different angles, they allow you the time to look at some other things along the way to your destination, or give you a break from something that is putting pressure on you.  If all you need is time, how do you know that you're using your time wisely?  How do you know that what you're investing your time in is going to make a difference to your context?

I've been saving love songs and lullabies
And there's so much more no one's ever heard before
Something's telling me it might be you
Yeah it's telling me it might be you
And I'm feeling it might be you all of my life

As much as people try to get to know you, they can only know what they observe and experience with you, but they would also rely on what you are willing to share with them about yourself.  What is that something that's telling you that it might be that someone that you have a feeling about?  I save love songs and lullabies all the time, sometimes even write some of my own if I have the inclination or the inspiration.  I guess it comes down to trusting that little voice or that 'something' that tells you things that you either need to hear or need to act upon.

Maybe it's you (it's you)
Maybe it's you (it's you)
I've been waiting for all of my life

I hope that you know that it's definitely you that you should be betting on.
Even if you have to wait on yourself to realise your own potential, because we can only see ourselves for who we really are, once we believe in our own abilities, capabilities and escapabilities.  Yes I said escapabilities and yes that's a new word, but that's what life is all about - we shouldn't be waiting for things to happen in our lives, we should be going out there, doing and creating new things and just living our best lives :-)