Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Love song. . .

Head under water 
And they tell me to breathe easy for a while 
The breathing gets harder, even I know that
Made room for me but it's too soon to see
If I'm happy in your hands
I'm unusually hard to hold onto

I think of this song often when I hear the voices that speak all at the same time because they want what you have; those voices unknowingly becoming the very reason that you withdraw.  Do you find that people try to convince you that you would be happy doing what they want you to do?  Are you naturally suspicious of people's motives?  If not, you should be.  You cannot possibly go through life without some street smarts and being savvy enough to know the difference between being offered genuine compliments or fake praise.  Learn to know the difference and things suddenly become clearer.  Then you will find that people aren't able to try to hold onto you against your will or try to figure you out with sweeping statements and foregone conclusions by listening to other people, rather than asking you themselves.  There's a reason why the horse has a mouth - so you can hear it whinny, neigh, nicker or blow.

Blank stares at blank pages
No easy way to say this
You mean well, but you make this hard on me

The pressure to perform, to write, to do anything that is supposed to flow from you with creative energy can be challenging and annoying to deal with, particularly when the people waiting for you to perform get in the way of your creative buzz.  


I learned the hard way
That they all say things you want to hear
And my heavy heart sinks deep down under you and your twisted words
Your help just hurts
You are not what I thought you were
Hello to high and dry

Be very careful to notice when people flock to you for all of the things that they want, but as soon as shit gets real, they disappear.  It makes me chuckle because everyone knows that when things are high stakes, that is when shit is at its most realest - I mean, what else would it be?  You must try to distance yourself as much as possible from manipulation and people who spend their days immersed and fully entrenched with their Machiavellian machinations.  Those people are not worth you associating with, so get to know people for as much as you can - learn and understand what it is really going on beneath the surface.  You will be surprised how quickly you learn things, not about them, but more about yourself and what you value for a change.


Convinced me to please you
Made me think that I need this too
I'm trying to let you hear me as I am

You quickly learn (as you are avoiding the hard way) that in order for people to really hear your voice and understand what you are saying - you need to be really clear and explicit about what you mean.  Are you a gullible person?  If you sat in a meeting and you had your perspective and had a staunch position about an issue, would you be easily swayed by other viewpoints that you heard?  I'm not saying that you would disagree for the sake of being different but that you were convinced by the different opinion showed in order to be shown favour.  Don't do that.  It is a complete and utter waste of time.  Be true to yourself always - but if people still won't hear you, then you must try a different tack.  Simple as that.

Promise me that you'll leave the light on
To help me see with daylight, my guide, gone
'cause I believe there's a way you can love me

Can you trust people to leave the light on for you?  At which point do you start believing them for who they are and what they bring to your table?  You might have to teach them about that way to love you, to respect you and enable that relationship of trust so that you can do what needs to be done - feelings aside.

Because I say I won't write you a love song
'Cause you asked for it, 'cause you need one, you see
I'm not gonna write you a love song
'Cause you tell me it's make or break in this. . . 

I hope that you write, think, feel, play, sing - do anything and everything that you want to do, not because you have other people telling you what you need to do.  You know yourself the best, you know what needs to happen to produce that conducive environment to complete your masterpieces, works of art that people are dying to see.  You don't respond to idle threats and nor do you give them.  If you don't want to write that love song for anybody, you don't need to do so.  (And for the record, don't take love song literally, you can substitute it for any other things that's pressuring you at the moment).  At the end of the day - you decide, you choose, if you hesitate, then you lose :-)