Saturday, 17 October 2015

I miss you. . .

This track is a song request by +Anaru White 

Hello there, the angel from my nightmare
The shadow in the background of the morgue
The unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
We can live like Jack and Sally
If we want

Have you had weird dreams or nightmares that seemed so real that you thought that they were actually quite real?  The thing about shadows and darkness is that they often represent the fears that you hold deep within yourself that you are afraid to reveal to people.  We sometimes have a fair idea about what those shadows actually are, what is actually lurking there in the darkness and I'm confident that if you are able to face those shadows and darkness by believing in yourself, feeling brave enough to confront your fears so that those shadows and darkness recedes, you will begin to see things a lot more clearly if not differently; literally shedding some light on your situation.

Where you can always find me
And we'll have Halloween on Christmas
And in the night we'll wish this never ends
We'll wish this never ends

I miss you, I miss you, I miss you, I miss you

Have you had some instances where you have wanted one long continuous night and for that night not to end?  Not because you wanted the world to be thrown into one long stretch of darkness but because in that night all things magical or seemingly make-believe came true for that one instance.  It felt like the planets aligned or something and you didn't want that night to end, because everything seemed too perfect to be true.  I hope that you experience nights like that in your lifetime.  It's an inevitable fact that things come to an end, because that's how life happens, that's how things pan out, but living in that moment; even when you combine seemingly different things all at once and it creates some kind of fairy tale or pinch-yourself-to-see-if-this-is-real-moment or if it's a night you've been thinking about for a long time - it's totally understandable to wish it would never end.


Where are you?  And I'm so sorry
I cannot sleep, I cannot dream tonight
I need somebody and always
This sick strange darkness
Comes creeping on so haunting every time

And as I stared I counted
The webs from all the spiders
Catching things and eating their insides

Like indecision to call you
And hear your voice of treason
Will you come home and stop this pain tonight
Stop this pain tonight

The melody kicks into overdrive being sung an octave higher.  The characters in the video show us what happens in their world when they cannot sleep or cannot dream and cannot be without who they need to be with, cannot be without their somebody.  What sick strange darkness threatens to overwhelm you in your life?  I can imagine that this feeling may creep in from time to time, haunting you from time to time, so what do you do to chase this feeling away?  

You need to be able to create some coping mechanisms or strategies to overcome this darkness which may potentially cripple you and cause you not to be able to get a good night's sleep or dream a beautiful dream that soothes you.  You will need to be able to clear away those cobwebs and gain some clarity to give you peace of mind.  

You should be able to call whoever you need to; call whoever you need to call to help you through what you're going through.  I like to think that I am that person for most people.  I've been told I'm a good listener and I understand where people are coming from.  But I just peg that down to be my sense of intuition about people and their situations, my sense of intuition to be able to see what they need to help them be the best versions of themselves that they can be.  It makes me smile to know that I can do that; not be the voice of treason, but in fact be the voice of reason :-)

Don't waste your time on me
You're already the voice inside my head
(I miss you, I miss you)
Don't waste your time on me
You're already the voice inside my head
(I miss you, I miss you)

The overlay of the simplicity of I miss you is layered throughout this chorus.  But I guess it's not so much the lyrics that speak to me in this chorus, but it's the subtle glockenspiel effect that plays in the interlude between the two choruses.  Even the swell of the strings that plays after the repeated chorus before the piano picks up the melody from the verses shows that even though it does seem assuredly simple, the combination of the distinct motifs that create the song gives a haunting effect, that isn't just reflected in the costumes of the characters in the music video, but just the fade out effect as well at the end of the song, as if the melody lingers somewhere in the darkness of the night, in the shadows of the nightmares the singer complains about.  It makes me miss you, I miss you, I miss you, I miss you. . .