Sunday, 11 October 2015

Feels like home. . .

This track is a song request from +Monique Simpson 


There are so many cover versions of this song, but I am particularly partial to the Bonnie Raitt rendition that touches me more than the others.  I feel the same way when I hear her sing I can't make you love me.  In the video on this blog post, she is seen being accompanied live by the composer Randy Newman on the Rosie O'Donnell Show back in 1997.

Somethin' in your eyes, makes me wanna lose myself
Makes me wanna lose myself, in your arms
There's somethin' in your voice, makes my heart beat fast
Hope this feeling lasts the rest of my life

Have you experienced that before?  You can tell a lot about a person by the way that they look at you.  There is something that you might see in their eyes that you are only able to see that you didn't really notice before.  There is also a catch somehow in their voice that wasn't really there before either.  As cheesy as you think that love sounds like and feels like, it's a feeling that you can't exactly beat.  It takes a huge amount of trust to make yourself vulnerable to someone else and come to a mutual place together where you can be honest about why life has brought you there.

If you knew how lonely my life has been
And how long I've felt so alone
If you knew how I wanted someone to come along
And change my life the way you've done

You might have those fantasies of meeting someone and then just "knowing" that they are the "one".  Have you waited for someone to come along and change your life?  Do you know someone right now who has come along and changed your life and you didn't realise it?  I think that's one of the most beautiful moments you can possibly have in your life - the point of realisation that dawns on you - when you can finally figure out why you have struggled to make sense of your feelings and didn't understand where they were taking you - it was taking you to a new home, in someone else.


It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me
It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from
It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me
It feels like I'm all the way back where I belong

Have you met people in your life where they have made you feel like you "belong"?  That you can be with them and feel so comfortable that you don't need to be physically home but just know that when you are with them, it feels like home?  Grab onto that when you can.  Because when life throws you so many different things that threaten to consume you or make you feel like you don't belong - go and visit that place in your mind where your memories are kept where you spent time with that person or people who made you feel like you belonged, if only for a fleeting moment.  After all, isn't that really what life is - but a series of moments?

A window breaks, down a long dark street
And a siren wails in the night
But I'm alright, 'cause I have you here with me
And I can almost see, through the dark there is light

You could be anywhere and with anyone, but you will always remember how to see through the dark again because you've been there before.  Hold onto those people who make you feel the best about yourself, those people who believe in you and never stop believing in you even when you can't see the best of you anymore.  Keep those people close to you when the rest of the world wants to hold you down and not let you get back up; their arms will always be outstretched to yours when you need to rise again, when you need to be held or leaned upon.

Well if you knew how much this moment means to me
And how long I have waited for your touch
If you knew how happy you were making me
I've never thought I would love anyone so much

I hope you know that the key to your own happiness is being able to share how happiness feels with others.  I'm not talking here about relying on others for your happiness, but I am talking about having the strength and courage to feel that happiness that only comes from within you and being able to show that light in a world of darkness.  I hope that you continue to have many more moments of feeling like home.  I love feeling like home with you :-)

It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me. . .