Tuesday, 29 September 2015

When doves cry. . .

This blog post is a song request by +Alex Hotere-Barnes 


I've had this song sitting in my drafts folder for a while now.  I don't know whether it's because it's Spring here in Aotearoa, but I've been doing some spring cleaning lately and decided I had better do the same for my writing.  It can be difficult to be motivated to do things, especially to tackle jobs that you have been putting off for some time and then you realise that you can't avoid not dealing with them, otherwise they never get done and no progress is made.  The same can be said when you don't deal with lack of communication in a relationship; when you stop relating to each other and the breakdown begins.


Dig if you will the picture
Of you and I engaged in a kiss
The sweat of your body covers me
Can you my darling
Can you picture this?

I recently re-watched an excerpt of a talk given by Kevin Smith (a.k.a. Silent Bob) that he gave at Kent State University.  An audience member asked about the documentary that he shot about Prince that would never see the light of the day.  What proceeded to unfold was the most hilarious take on what it was like to work for the artist.  People normally associate the artist with his raw sexuality and diminutive stature.  His musical genius knows no bounds, a wickedly talented song writer and musician; he is every bit the perfectionist that we associate with someone of his prolific nature.

Dream if you can a courtyard
An ocean of violets in bloom
Animals strike curious poses
They feel the heat
The heat between you and me

You see this all the time in movies - that electric chemistry between the two main characters.  Have you ever felt heat between yourself and someone else?  It's like the heat is so intense you can cut it like a knife.  There are probably some times where it's been more obvious and you would both act on that chemistry, other times you can tell it's there but you're reluctant to act on it because it might ruin a perfectly good friendship or you couldn't act on anything because the situation wouldn't allow for whatever reasons.




How can you just leave me standing?
Alone in a world that's so cold? (so cold)
Maybe I'm just too demanding
Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold
Maybe you're just like my mother
She's never satisfied (she's never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry

It's contradictory doesn't it? When doves cry does it sound like human screams?  Does it sound like various stages of discontent and resentment that can easily ruin a relationship or a passionate love affair?  I think so, yes.  If doves are meant to symbolise creatures of peace, then when they are sad it does stand to reason that they would sound like they are wounded or in some kind of pain that we wouldn't normally associate them with.

Touch if you will my stomach
Feel how it trembles inside
You've got the butterflies all tied up
Don't make me chase you
Even doves have pride

It's pretty hard to make yourself completely vulnerable in this way right?  To put your heart on the line and get hurt so you would prefer not to do the chasing but instead maybe wait to be chased?  In matters of the heart, are you typically the pursuer or the pursued?  It's interesting to be able to do both when and if you need to.  Are you like a dove and have some pride that prevents you from doing the chasing?  When I think about chasing, it's because you've agreed to the rules of the game (any game that requires chasing as a component generally speaking) because you've agreed to play.  But just as in any game, you must be prepared to lose, as much as you are prepared to win.  

When doves cry
When doves cry
When doves cry. . .