Monday, 28 September 2015

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes. . .

I've written previous blog posts about David Bowie (see Space Oddity, As the world falls down, Modern love, The man who sold the world).  I must admit that I haven't been writing as frequently as I have been in this latter half of the year, because I realise that I write when I feel the most or when the inspiration hits me to write.  Apart from that, I've been a part of the rat race, nose to the grind working hard.  At times it doesn't feel like I'm working because I'm so passionate about what I do, but I guess when you're living your passion on a daily basis, that seems to be a reward in itself :-)

I still don't know what I was waiting for
And my time was running wild
A million dead-end streets
and every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
So I turned myself to face me
But I've never caught a glimpse
Of how the others must see the faker
I'm much too fast to take that test

The perceptions of yourself by others may preoccupy a lot of your time.  This has nothing to do with (so I've learned) with the fact that you're self-conscious or shy, but I guess, particularly within your professional work space, it impacts on how you are able to get your actual work done.  Do people understand where you are coming from when you talk?  Do people see the real you in anything and everything that you do?  I guess that depends on how much you choose to reveal your 'true self' as well.  The last few lines of the first verse speak to me about how we can operate sometimes when we try to outsmart others, we run away from showing our true colours - so we become chameleons.  We can spend so much of our time being crazy and wild but not really address what's going inside of ourselves.  Do you know what's really going on for you?


I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence and
So the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through

We often sneer at the youth of today and think that they don't know what you know, which may probably be true.  But the thing that fascinates me about young people is their capacity they hold for knowing themselves.  I remember what I was like at that age, on the verge of finishing high school - but the only thing I was sure of at the time was going to college and completing my degree.  I thought I was going to complete my PhD degree at 24 but life got in the way or life revealed some pit stops along the way but now I'm currently on that pathway.  I now understand that when I thought that the days were floating through my eyes in the past, those were days that were supposed to happen so that I could be on the path that was always destined for me;  the changes that are meant to happen, do.  I accept that; not in a reluctant manner, but in the fullness of what it means to accept something that is a gift - with gratitude.

Strange fascination, fascinating me
Changes are taking the pace
I'm going through

As you go through changes in your own life, what do you find yourself being fascinated by?  I often think about why we can start to fixate or obsess about things and then neglect and abandon other things.  I think to some extent there is a push me-pull me effect where you let change happen to you and on a similar level, you grab change by the horns and grapple with it to suit your context.  This is of course in contrast with what the song talks about but I think it's interesting to note; wait for change or drive the change.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(Turn and face the strange)
Ch-ch changes
Oh, look out you rock 'n' rollers
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(Turn and face the strange)
Ch-ch changes
Pretty soon now you're gonna get older
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time. . . 

I hope that you become comfortable with facing the strange.
There should be nothing that frightens you or shocks you deeply enough (but if life does that to you, it's meant to happen so that you can learn from it).  Wisdom is supposed to seep in or become more entrenched in your world once you gain life experience as you age.  Do we need to trace time?  Do we need to mark time?  Regardless of how you choose to spend your time, turn and face the strange. . .