Sunday, 23 August 2015

Laughter in the rain. . .

Thanks for giving me laughter in the rain :-)
A song endorsement by +Anaru White 

There aren't many songs that I can listen to without ever tiring of them.  But this is definitely one of those songs.  I like the contrast between the verses and the chorus - there's something about the easy going nature of the verses before harmonically and rhythmically we get swept into a different key and the pace is a bit quicker.  It's a feel good track that makes you smile spontaneously :-)

Strolling along country roads with my baby
It starts to rain, it begins to pour
Without an umbrella we're soaked to the skin
I feel a shiver run up my spine
I feel the warmth of her hand in mine

The easy shuffle of the melody in the verses contrast the words of being soaked to the skin and feeling a shiver due to the cold from the rain.  I sometimes think they don't write songs like these anymore - where the lyrics help to paint a picture for the listener.  Probably all of romantic film moments have had the classic 'caught in the rain' scenario and the two lovers gaze longingly into each other's eyes.  It sound cheesy and corny but it always makes me smile and roll my eyes.

Ooh I hear laughter in the rain
Walking hand in hand with the one I love
Ooh how I love the rainy days
And the happy way I feel inside

The video of this song matches the version that is in the Spotify list (which is pretty rare but also pretty cool).  I think sometimes we forget to laugh in the rain, because we associate the rain with negativity and the nuisance of getting wet and having to dry off (because we would catch a cold otherwise, as our mothers taught us).  The chorus epitomises the ultimate of 'feel good' songs and how a moment with someone that you care about seems even that more special, even when there is rain.


After a while we run under a tree
I turn to her and she kisses me
There with the beat of the rain on the leaves
Softly she breathes and I close my eyes
Sharing our love under stormy skies

Have you had many moments like this in your life?  They're like the best if you have them.  I often think about how listening to a shared song associated to a memory or going past a place where you shared a moment is pretty special.  What makes it even more special is that, the memory (as described in this song even) seems special because it describes enough of an intimate tender moment without going too much into specifics.  

Ooh I hear laughter in the rain
Walking hand in hand with the one I love
Ooh how I love the rainy days
And the happy way I feel inside

I hope that you laugh in the rain.
If you haven't shared laughter with anyone in the rain, you might not need to anyway.
As long as you're happy inside and doing what you love - that's enough for me :-)