Wednesday, 5 August 2015

In my life. . .

Conversation series: Second conversation with a very dear friend

I know you'll remember this song.
I played the sheet music to this cover version by Bette Midler for our music teacher who was leaving, while you sang.  I just jumped in on the harmonies every now and then.  I think those early years of singing together really helped with us keeping the harmony in our friendship too

There are places I remember
all my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
And some have gone, and some remain

Since I have known you, we have introduced each other to so many different people, from so many different walks of life, but we have remained constant through all of those seasonal friends.  I laugh when I think about our growing pains together.  I struggle sometimes to recall specific sayings that we had but I do have vivid images of the things we did together.  When I look at old photos of what we did together, those photos never fail to make me smile.

All these places have their moments
with lovers and friends I still can't recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I love them all

I think this is probably why people love going to reunions.  We should probably think about having one too.  Maybe a silver jubilee?  Goodness. . . time flies when you're having fun alright.  Do you think about friends that have passed away?  I can't believe that those who have gone, have actually gone.  It makes me think about how much we need to be living in the moment and doing so much so that we can take those memories with us.



But of all these friends and lovers
there is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
when I think of love as something new

Thank you for being the friend that always knows what to say when words fail me.
You show me what friendship means and how important it is to stay connected, because when we spend time together, your enthusiasm and excitement is as effervescent as when we were kids - it's infectious, contagious and keeps a permanent smile affixed on my face.  I don't think it's that possible to be happy in that way; it's that sheer kind of joy, that exhilaration of knowing that you're with someone that totally gets you on a wavelength and you're just nodding and laughing till you start crying.

Though I know I'll never ever lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think of them
In my life I love you more

Whenever you need me buddy, I'm here.
There are very few times in one's lifetime where you will love a friend more than words could ever say, because words would fail to do justice to the admiration and loyalty that I have for you.
I think that's probably why we harmonise so well when we sing, and why our friendship is so in tune :-)

But in my life I love you more
I love you more. . . .