Sunday, 9 August 2015

How can you mend a broken heart. . .

This track is a song endorsement by +Shannon Vulu 

This month is always a hard month for me.  August is a time of reflection for me (it was my birthday last week).  This week will be my wedding anniversary and the following week, the birthday of my late husband.  They say time heals all wounds, but I think what it does is that it makes the pain turn into aches; they don't necessarily heal, it's just that life takes over and you have to carry on living.

I can think of younger days when living for my life
Was everything a man could want to do 
I could never see tomorrow
But I was never told about the sorrow

When you're young, you do think a lot about the things that you want to do; the world is your oyster and there are so many opportunities that lie at your feet (or at least that's what you are taught to believe) and as young people, you just try to live life to the fullest every day.  Do the dreams of your youth match the reality of your . . . present age?  Have we forgotten to live our lives?  Do you think if when we were young, that if we were constantly bombarded with warnings to be more careful with our living, that we would listen and take more precautions?  I don't think so.  We would have never listened in our younger days - we're meant to make mistakes and find things out the hard way.  Nobody can really tell you about sorrow anyway; you need to experience that for yourself.


I can still feel the breeze that rustles through the trees
And misty memories of days gone by
We could never see tomorrow
No one said a word about the sorrow

I've been having conversations lately with people about love and it's been really interesting to hear about how much we either agree or disagree or seem altogether confused about what it means for different people.  This verse illustrates the idea that even when love has gone, all that is left behind is that feeling of isolation and loneliness that creeps in (the breeze illustrated by the violins and the rustles through the trees by the hammond organ).  I guess that's the thing right?  You can fall hard and fast in love with someone, and when you least expect it, you can also crash and burn when it ends.  

And how can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round?
How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again

You're probably going to think I'm a bit melancholy and enjoy misery (as we all know, misery loves company!) but I think that it's important to go through the pain of losing love, because it's part of the process, it's part of the deal, I mean you can't have the good without the bad.

I think I've been mending a lot of broken hearts lately, by listening to their stories and just being a good friend to people.  It's not a role that I appointed myself, it's just the natural order of things I guess;  I've always been a good listener and have genuine empathy for people.  When they talk about pain, I can feel it, when they cry, I try hard to fight back tears.  I'm that person - the one that cries first looking at sappy YouTube clips, but you know what, there's nothing wrong with that - it doesn't faze me.  It's something that my late husband used to tease me about, and now I laugh about it.

I hope that my friends know, that I'm always here to help them mend their broken hearts.
It's what friends do and I'm pretty sure they would do the same for me :-)

Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again. . . all you need to do is ask :-)