Thursday, 16 July 2015

Modern love. . .

This track is a song request from +Anaru White 

I've been enjoying some great conversations lately with some really cool people in my life and they've really been quite enlightening (hilarious of course, I surround myself with people who make me laugh, it's a pre-requisite, what can I say?!) and what I like about these conversations is that when you learn things about other people and really listen to what they have to say, you start to learn more things about yourself and start listening to yourself for a change too.  

I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done (spoken)

The way David Bowie speaks the opening lines had me in a fits of giggles for a while.  I had to keep listening to this spoken section at least 10 times because it's the way he says the lines that make me laugh.  It's not meant to be arrogant, although you would be forgiven for interpreting it that way, but to my ears it sounds like he's making fun of people who probably talk like that, sounding quite full of pomp and circumstance, feeling like they are a class above everyone else.  It's these types of people that make me roll my eyes because rather than telling people what you're like, I prefer to see what you're like or at least be shown with your actions what type of person you are.

I catch a paper boy
But things don't really change 
I'm standing in the wind
But I never wave bye-bye

But I try
I try

When you realise that things don't change, even when you're anticipating that they will, but either you're not in a position to make change happen or someone else is pulling the strings to make changes happen that you have no say in, it makes you think about what it is you're supposed to be doing, what you're supposed to do when you discover news of proposed changes.  Can we say goodbye to the things and people that we know when the time comes?  Are we as equipped to deal with change as we think we are?  What does this really mean for us all in the end?  Is it worth even trying?


There's no sign of life
It's the power to charm
I'm lying in the rain
But I never wave bye-bye

But I try
I try

Does this mean that having charm isn't a real thing?  That it's derived from something so contrived that it never was real, in fact, it's all part of a facade to make sure that we are not in control of who we really are, not sure about what it is we are really doing and what we are really mean to be achieving in this life?  We come to certain stages in our lives when we know full well that we should be moving on to new landscapes waiting to be explored, but we never stray far from the known and the comfortable, from the tried and true (and even then, this being "true" is also questionable), but I guess this is why we must continue to try.  Without any particular attention to a concerted effort, we will never arrive anywhere, let alone move.

Never gonna fall for 
Modern Love walks beside me
Modern Love walks on by
Modern Love gets me to the Church on Time
Church on Time terrifies me
Church on Time makes me party

We are so afraid of Modern Love - whatever that happens to look like these days.  I find that my idea of modern love has changed somewhat - and I'm not even talking about gender differences or sexual orientation, I'm actually referring to the definite blurred lines between the levels of intimacy that can be achieved without a single physical act.  The values and beliefs we are taught account for outdated views on what love was defined as and how it was accepted and practised in accordance with rules, regulations, laws of God and man.

Church on Time puts my trust in God and Man
God and Man no confessions
God and Man no religion
God and Man don't believe
in Modern Love. . . 

I hope that how I see love always changes with the modernity of the time.
This means that it doesn't matter how love manifests itself, how it is shown, given, articulated, expressed and exists - I will just be grateful for what love is supposed to do.  I guess the only people ready for love will be those that understand what Modern Love means. . .