Monday, 13 July 2015

Let it go. . .

This track is a song request from +Anaru White 

From walking home and talking loads
To seeing shows in evening clothes with you
From nervous touch and getting drunk
To staying up and waking up with you

But now we're sleeping at the edge
Holding something we don't need
All this delusion in our heads
Is gonna bring us to our knees

There's always that contrast isn't there, that not-so-subtle juxtaposition of nervousness and realness that comes with new relationships, spending time together, staying up and waking up - like there aren't enough hours in the day to adequately capture the feelings and experiences of getting to know somebody.  It's that part of a connection or relationship that I love the most.  That newness and excitement of trying to figure each other out.  Of course, trying to hold onto a spark in a relationship never works because you can never hold onto something intangible or as elusive that isn't mean to be pinned down.


I used to recognise myself
It's funny how reflections change
When you're becoming something else
I think it's time to walk away

When relationships start to change you in ways that you can't recognise yourself, that's the best signal that lets you know that it's time to move on, walk away and close the door.  When our close friends try to tell us that we're not who we are when we're in these relationships that change us, we resist and tell ourselves that they're just jealous that we're happy and they're not.  When I've had friends tell me this in the past, I had to learn the hard way about the changes that pushed me so far in thew wrong direction that I stopped recognising who I was in the mirror.  

Trying to fit your hand inside of mine
When we know it just don't belong
There's no force on earth
Could make me feel right, no

Trying to push this problem up the hill
When it's just too heavy to hold
Think now it's time to slide

Sonically, this bridge works because of the subtle shift into whispered tones.  It makes me think about the fact that you can sometimes whisper things to yourself or have inner thoughts that you keep within, because you suspect on the off-chance that you decide to say things out loud - that it will force you to make a decision about something that you aren't prepared to make.  

There's nothing worse than trying to make things fit when they obviously don't.  It's a bit like when you were a child trying to fit a round ball into a square peg - no matter how hard you try to push things into place, to force them to conform or make them stay in place, they never really quite take to its surroundings.  We need to be aware that when things become too big for us to handle, when we should be looking at ways to make things more manageable for ourselves and start accepting facts about who we are, what we have let ourselves become and how we can move forward from there - when will you reach the breaking point so that you know when it's time to let things slide?

So come on let it go
Just let it be
Why don't you be you
And I'll be me

Everything that's broke
Leave it to the breeze
Why don't you be you
And I'll be me

And I'll be me

I hope that you will always be you - the you that I've come to know and understand. 
Even if you do change, I hope that you change because it's a natural part of your development and that you never feel pressured to conform but change like the changing of the wind or the tide - when it becomes part of how you let yourself move fluidly between worlds, between situations.  

Give yourself the permission to just be who you are.  There is nothing that I want more for you.
Just your happiness, your well-being and your peace of mind is all that I hope for you :-)