Saturday, 18 July 2015

I'm still standing. . .

This blog post is dedicated to people who continually get challenged unnecessarily!
This track is also a song request by +Anaru White 

Initially this song centres on being able to survive a failed relationship or love affair.
I think when your relationship starts to becoming challenging because the honeymoon period is over, you start to think about the tactics that you will use in your arsenal - that is if you intend to hurt the other person that you're involved in.  I think about failed relationships that I have witnessed (both real and fake) and when you end things by hurting people. I simply think - that's the stupidest course of action to take.  I think wow, weren't you in love with that person like, not so long ago.  How fickle we can be when it comes to love.  Rational thought out the window, turbulent feelings take over.

You could never know what it's like
Your blood like winter freezes just like ice
And there's a cold lonely night that shines from you
You'll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use

When you start analysing the other person and give feedback about what you see about how they feel, how they have made you feel, you probably don't even realise, but you're on the pathway to making them feel bad or worse about themselves.  Once you see that what you're saying has no effect, you start to up the ante and say more hurtful things.  It's a ridiculous game that we play because we want to feel more powerful, feel more in control and don't care about the consequences of what we're saying (even if it does hurt) because we're feeling aggrieved and want to inflict as much damage as possible.

And did you think this fool could never win
Well look at, I'm coming back again
I got a taste of love in a simple way
And if you need to know while I'm still standing while you fade away

You need to bounce back don't you.  You need to come back and be as resilient as ever.  I mean you have to, because if you don't, you'll just be a lying heap of mess on the floor who can't cope and can't move out of that funk.  If you get a taste of love in a simple way, I guess it comes down to whether you are happy with what love it is you are experiencing.  


Don't you know I'm still standing than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

Pushing the love scenario aside, let's look at this song through another lens.
Do you have lifelong enemies?  Those are people who publicly smile at you but privately plot your demise.  Apart from making this sound like some over-indulgent episodes from Dallas or Dynasty, you might have these people in your life without you knowing.  When people try to hurt you, humiliate you, have your integrity and self-worth questioned or make it questionable, it's time to kick your action plan into gear and look after yourself.  What I mean is, you can avoid having to pick up the pieces of your life by making smart decisions about what you need to, who to surround yourself and who to trust.

Once I could never hope to win
You starting down the road leaving me again
The threats you made were meant to cut me down
And if our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now. . . 

If you look at yourself as a loser, you are a loser.  I've been listening to a few people talk about how hard their life is, how much of a struggle they go through - but when I listen more deeply with emotions set aside, I realise that they are making excuses for past actions that they could've avoided with better decisions.  I'm not saying I'm perfect and have never made any mistakes, because that's not true and I don't believe that I would ever stop making mistakes - it's how I learn best.  But to deal with threats - both overt and veiled, you must be smart to enlist even smarter people to be your support crew.  If people try to do things to cut you down, you don't need to sit there and accept it.  Develop a faster response time and cut them before they cut you.  It sounds ruthless, but it's a dog-eat-dog world out there and unless you're quite happy to be eaten alive by unsavoury characters, then maybe you should be eaten alive.  I just tend to think about that Polish proverb that +Catriona Pene shared with me a few moons ago when people try to involve you in their drama - not my monkeys, not my circus.

I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah

I hope that you eventually learn how to stand tall.  I hope that if you get knocked down that you eventually learn how to stand up fast to stand tall again.  I hope that you can see me help me pull you up when you need me, because I'm still standing. . .