Sunday, 12 July 2015

Get a hold of yourself. . .

This blog post is dedicated to those of us looking for answers :-)

As I sit and wait for some answers
The questions go round like Kamikaze pilot
Enlightenment's just a romancer
I wish it were here burning brightly through the skylight

The whole idea of waiting for answers, hoping that by some sheer stroke of good luck, those answers just magically appear, materialising in your lap, or in front of your eyes.  It comes to fruition because you've been searching earnestly for those answers like you're Dora the Explorer collecting clues, reading maps to get to your destination.  But what if we don't know how to interpret those answers? What do we do when the answers we get are even more ambiguous than the questions we had in the first place?  What if the answers never take us to where we need to go?

If Enlightenment is just a romancer, does this mean that it was never about truth, which is why those answers are so elusive and hard to find?  Do we get distracted and mesmerised by this idea of Enlightenment that we don't see it for what it really is - nothing but a romantic fantasy that we need to accept.

Get a hold of yourself
Get a hold of yourself, now boy
Get a hold of yourself
Get a hold of yourself now

Are you able to get a hold of yourself?  Sometimes we need to get a grip on reality - but for the most part I know so many people who are unhappy with their current realities and it makes me think.  Why stay in those realities that you don't like?  I know for some they don't have a choice, but it's because past decisions have lead them to their current reality that is just a daily grind.



If everyone here is invited
I'm more in the dark than I ever even guessed
Should I cling to something solid
I wish it were here dressed up in its Sunday best

I don't know about you, but I'm not one for surprises.  I'm not saying that I don't like pleasant surprises but there is definitely something about not knowing how to deal with not being in control of a situation or having some fair idea about what's going on.  It's something that you learn about being able to participate with the appropriate social cues in contexts where quite frankly, you could quite happily avoid.

What is something solid that I can cling to?  It can't be people who try to push you away and will tell you anything to stop you getting too close.  I've been figuring that out a lot lately and I think I'm ok with being this intuitive with people.  I mean, I can't make them feel better about me knowing or feeling how they operate, because it's something I've always been able to do - I can't switch that off.  It's a gift.

Get a hold of yourself
Get a hold of yourself, now boy
Get a hold of yourself
Get a hold of yourself now

I hope that what you need to get a hold of - if it isn't yourself because you're still learning to trust yourself, learning to trust what your decision making skills are (and hey be honest, you don't know who you are until you come against some tough situations, that's when you know yourself the most) to lead you to where you need to be.

I hope that once you do get a hold of yourself, that life for you is like the guitar accompaniment in this song - gentle but with enough motion to propel you forward to enjoy the scenery that you have yet to see.  I'll even let you hold onto me from time to time.  It's what friends are for right?