Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Flashlight. . .

This blog post is dedicated to those who need to remember who the flashlights are in their lives :-)

I've written about Jessie J in a previous blog post (see Who you are).  This song features in Pitch Perfect 2 starring Anna Kendrick, Brittany Snow and Rebel Wilson.  It is the song that the Barden Bellas perform at the World Champs, an opportunity for them to redeem themselves from their shocking performance which is the opening number of the movie.  Rebel Wilson is the real star of this second instalment of the movie franchise, and I look forward to seeing what happens in Pitch Perfect 3.  I'm sure they'll make it a trilogy ;-)

When tomorrow comes
I'll be on my own
Feeling frightened of
The things that I don't know
When tomorrow comes
Tomorrow comes
Tomorrow comes

It is what makes us human - the worry about what the future will bring, the fear of the unknown and wondering if we will be able to handle what life has in store for us, whether we'll be able to deal with what new challenges there will be.  Tomorrow can either seem like a very long way away, or it can be literally within 24 hours, depending on the state of the change of pace.  I think we need to stop worrying so much about what will happen when tomorrow comes.  Why?  Because it is inevitable that tomorrow will be - like the setting of the sun and the rising of the sun, that accompanies that tomorrow.

And though the road is long
I look up to the sky
And in the dark I found lost hope that I won't fly
And I sing along, I sing along and I sing along

Singing along and hearing music in your head can be one way of warding off the darkness that can threaten to consume your mind and keep you from seeing that flashlight illuminate the night sky.  Do you have fantastic flashlights in your life?  You're lucky if you have more than one flashlight.  I see those flashlights acting like stars that scatter themselves across that night sky, and burn so bright when you need them to shine for you.


I see the shadows long beneath the mountain top
I'm not afraid when the rain won't stop
'Cause you light the way
You light the way
You light the way

The thing is, the flashlight has to know where you're meant to go, so do you trust your flashlight?  How do they know where you're supposed to go?  Do they believe in you that much that they see your potential in you, before you believe in it yourself?  There will be people that you will come across in your life who will do that for you.  Who will see your path destined for greatness and are only too happy to shine their flashlight for you so you can see the way for yourself, in time.  It almost feels like you won't imagine how great everything lights up until you see it, in all its glowing warmth to some mountain top you've never been to before.  What a sight and a wonder that would be to behold.  Why wouldn't you trust your flashlight right?

I got all I need when I got you and I
I look around me, and see a sweet life
I'm stuck in the dark, but you're my flashlight
You're getting me, getting me through the night
Kick start my heart when you shine it in my eyes
Can't lie, it's a sweet lie

I wonder sometimes if flashlights sometimes feel tired too, shining the pathways for people who don't see their potential or are afraid to see.  Where do flashlights get their resilience and faith in humanity from?  Surely there must be someone or something that looks after those flashlights too so that they can remain at optimum level, at peak performance to help others that need them to keep shining.

Stuck in the dark, but you're my flashlight
You're getting me, getting me through the night
'Cause you're my flashlight (flashlight)
You're my flashlight (flashlight), you're my flashlight. . .

I hope that you remember to thank your flashlights for shining for you, for helping you to light the way when all you see is darkness.  I hope you remember to tell your flashlights how much you depend on them, how much they mean to you and how your life would be darkness without them.

Thanks for getting me through the night, flashlight ;-)