Sunday, 12 July 2015

All my life. . .

This is the final song in this conversation series of three consecutive blog posts.  I will think about the next conversation posts for other people over the coming week.  

I've chosen All my life because I think it encapsulates what you've been telling me about your journey in life so far.  I think if you listened really closely to the lyrics and how the music has that interplay to express the lyrics, you will definitely find something to push you towards achieving your dream.


All my life I've been searching for something
Something never comes never leads to nothing
Nothing satisfies but I'm getting close
Closer to the prize at the end of the rope

I think it's clever how the last word at the end of each line in this verse is used to start the next line.  As a songwriter yourself, you appreciate the nuances of what it means to be clever in writing your own material and how you carefully choose the right lyrics, the right inflection and notes to attach to the syllables and what the music should sound like as a block or wall of sound while you're carrying the melody.  

All night long I dream of the day
When it comes around then it's taken away
Leaves me with the feeling that I feel the most
Feel it come to life when I see your ghost

I totally understand that you feel like you've been alone in this journey.  When you have a single-minded vision that seems so overwhelming, it can be difficult to get a handle on how to break it down and come up smaller goals to achieve it - but this is what you need to do.  When you want to run away, act out and distract yourself with meaningless exploits that you end up regretting, then the only person that loses out in the end - will be you.  This is probably why when a residual figure like a ghost appears, it is a reminder of the purpose that you must serve.  It's not about us, but about who the dream is meant to serve.


Come down don't you resist
You have such a delicate wrist
And if I give it a twist
Something to hold when I lose my grip

I promised you that I would be here to support you and your dream.  I think that I care about your dream so much, because I can't imagine a world without the beauty of art, of music, of something that can be created by God-given talents - why should the world lose out on that?  There's no need to twist my arm when you start to lose your grip.  I imagine that if there is a greater good that must be served, you recognise this yourself, there will be people that are placed in your path, that are positioned to help you realise your dreams.  You should quickly realise the people that are placed in your life to dissuade you from the pathway you should be on.  I don't need to remind you.

Will I find a believer
Another one who believes
Another one to deceive
Over and over down on my knees

I think you know deep within yourself whether you choose to find believers, or find people to deceive.  Do you think that if you convert people to believers, that you are deceiving them?  I don't know if you understand what you do sometimes.  Hindsight can be 20/20 and you start to realise the consequences of your action, when you've seen the impact of those actions on the people that are nearest and dearest to you.  It's the kneeling and feeling remorse after each transgression, I mean it's like, how much longer can we fool ourselves?  Are we actually looking in the mirror and not realising that we have actually been deceiving ourselves this whole time?  That we have mistakenly thought that we have made believers of our own deception.  I shudder at the thought but I'm sure we aren't there yet - we haven't gone past the point of no return yet.

If I get any closer
And if you open up wide
And if you let me inside
On and on I've got nothing to hide
On and on I've got nothing to hide

I've gone through life collecting people and looking after them.  Like you have said to me, you have had many friends that you have interesting conversations with because you feel that you learn something with each new conversation with these people.  Those are the people that you meet in a season, or people that you meet for a reason.  How about those people that you meet for life lessons?    I don't think you need to worry about disclosing anything to me.  I think people would be genuinely surprised to know that there is nothing that I haven't heard, there is nothing that can't shock me.  I've heard it all.  I think this is what makes me a great listener, an empathetic writer and an intuitive person.

Hey don't let it go to waste
I love it but I hate the taste
Weight keeping me down (x2)

Just like in the previous blog post Refuge in the roads, we need to remember to lighten the load, keep things manageable, keep things light, because there will always be people who want to make things difficult, who want to put up roadblocks and stop us from achieving our goals.  Those types of people are meant to be in our lives - because they are the obstacles that we must overcome.  Then when we get to achieve and accomplish our goals and our dreams - the victory is that much sweeter.

I hope that you learn to acquire a taste for the dream that doesn't stop you from achieving it.
All of the hardships that you will face as a result of pursuing this dream - is part and parcel of what to expect.  If the dream was easy to achieve, everybody would have achieved it already.  

Final words - be happy, pursue what makes you happy, surround yourself with people who make your happy - so that you can then go on and share that happiness with the rest of the world.  When you start to falter and lose faith in yourself, just remember that I will always believe in you.  Pure and simple :-)