Saturday, 13 June 2015

You're my best friend. . .

I've written some previous blog posts about Queen (see Under pressure and We are the champions).

Ooh, you make me live
Whatever this world can give to me
It's you, you're all I see
Ooh, you make me live now honey
Ooh, you make me live. . .

Do you make people feel this way about you?  It's more often than not, sometimes even too late, you only begin to realise how much you mean to somebody when situations change or something happens that is beyond your control (you know, you didn't cause the event to happen).  When you reflect on the many things that the world offers you (consider taking a panoramic view of this, like you're looking at some hologram of a virtual landscape laid in front of you, detailing everything that have been highlights for you, considerable turning points even that have been catalysts for change within yourself), I think we barely take stock of how far we have come and who the key people were that remained constant, loved us unconditionally - there would be one key person that was there for you, no matter what, the "ride or die" person as contemporary pop culture would have you label them.

You're the best friend
That I ever had
I've been with you such a long time
You're my sunshine
And I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
You're my best friend. . .

I think I've mentioned this before, I wasn't a huge fan of the notion of "best friends".  I had close friends in the inner circle (still do) and I have different circles that I roll in, only because of the multiple facets of my personality and interests that lead me to be able to connect with different types of people, from different walks of life.  I think when I was teaching - having this open demeanour helped me to connect with the students that I taught, irrespective of their backgrounds with ease.



I've been wandering around
But I still come back to you
In rain or shine
You've stood by me girl
I'm happy at home (happy at home)
You're my best friend. . . 

You have people like that in your life right?  They go off and make new friends and get burned, then come back to you (whether you want them to or not) and expect you to pick up where you left off.  It gets like that when you have history with your friends.  But we all know that a testament of a great friendship (better than the best friendships maybe?) is one where no matter what has transpired, who may have wronged each other (for the umpteenth time) but you always know that your best friend will be there for you, because that's what makes that particular friend, the best friend of all.

You're the first one
When things turn out bad
You know I'll never be lonely
You're my only one 
And I love the things
I really love the things that you do
You're my best friend. . . 

I hope that you don't realise too late how many great friends, how many best friends that you have in your life.  One wise person once told me that you should be able to count the number of your best friends on one hand.  At the time I didn't realise what she meant, but after I was burned by people who I thought were my friends, I realised that it's not the number of friends that one has, but the quality of friends that I kept that made all the difference in the world.

Just recognise and hold onto that person (or people) that make you say Ooh you make me live. . .