Monday, 8 June 2015

Up on the roof. . .

This track is a song request from +Anaru White 


It's winter here in Aotearoa and the colder months bring with it the winter blues.
We're more susceptible to being highly strung, under a lot of pressure and wishing for warmer climates (for some of us, it's returning to the land of our heritage to experience that feeling of homecoming that you genuinely feel, it's indescribable) or maybe it's something just as simple as a change of vantage point.  Like going up on the roof.

When this old world starts getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face (up on the roof)
I climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space (up on the roof)

On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
And there, the world below can't bother me
Let me tell you now. . .

Everyone needs to visit their "roof" every now and again.  There is no point in living a life that makes you hate living it, if you don't take some time out to calm down, breathe and take stock of what's important in your life - you.  I know it sounds like it's easier said than done, but when we go up to the roof and imagine seeing ourselves on the ground, watching ourselves do what we do, driving ourselves to the point of exhaustion trying to do all and be all for everyone - the only person that you're not being anything to - is yourself.

So what can you do to counter the challenges, issues and things that cause you to use tissues to wipe that liquid that spills from your eyes from time to time?



When I come home feeling tired and beat
I go up where the air is fresh and sweet (up on the roof)
I get away from the hustling crowds
And all that rat race noise down in the street (up on the roof)

On the roof's the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let's go up on the roof (up on the roof). . . 

The strings play briefly during this interlude.  The instrumentation is a real drawcard for, particularly music of this era.  The interplay of the lead and background vocals, the drone notes in the background before the xylophone punctuates the end of the first section, before the punctuation continues with the horn section.

The thing I love the most about music - more than writing it, more than playing it, recreating it and singing along to it - just sitting there quietly there and listening to it.  Music appreciation can sometimes be marred by the opinions, rather than just thinking about how it makes you feel.  I remember as a teenager how important it was to like the same music as your friends otherwise you had bad taste in music.  Your taste in music defined you.  Have I changed?  I think so.  I like what I like because of memories that are associated to it, because musically how the elements of music combine, seem to pull at my ears, make my eyes close and pull at my heartstrings.

At nights, the stars put on a show for free
And, darling, you can share it all with me
I keep a-tellin' you

Right smack dab in the middle of town
I found a paradise that's trouble-proof (up on the roof)
And if this world is getting you down
There's room enough for two up on the roof (up on the roof)

Up on the roof (up on the roof)
Oh, come on baby (up on the roof)
Oh, come on, honey (up on the roof)
Everything is all right (up on the roof). . . 

I hope that you find someone to share that roof with.  Someone you can vibe with is all you need.
I hope that you can sit there and appreciate the music that fills your ears as you have conversations that are stress free, smell the air that is fresh and sweet, no longer hearing the rat race noise, but that you find that paradise that's trouble proof.  You just have to wish to make it so . . .