Tuesday, 30 June 2015

The reason. . .

I'm not a perfect person
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go

Do you have any regrets?  We sometimes wish we could take things back, have another opportunity to do something differently now that we are living with the consequences of the course of action that we've taken.  But life rarely deals us opportunities to have do-overs in this sense.  This is why when we say or do things, we need to be mindful about what happens afterwards.  We forget how much impact (unwittingly) our words and actions have on people.  We are dismissive of other people's feelings because we're too busy caring about our own and making our own lives easier.  So who gets caught in the crossfire?  People who tried to help you but you thought you did it all on your own steam.

That I just want you to know
I've found a reason for me 
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
And the reason is you

I imagine that this chorus can be seen from the perspective of the "victim" - that they will carry on and live their life, having learned from being hurt by their abuser, learning to be brave and pushing on regardless of the scars that will take time to heal - it's the emotional scars that take the longest to heal though right?  When you see these lyrics from the perspective of the "abuser" - you would hope that they would at least feel some remorse for their words and actions, but that's the thing right - abusers don't know that what they're doing is hurtful, unless it happens to them and they then become a victim, or something shakes them up enough to realise the implications of what they've done.  They begin to understand the reason. . .


I'm sorry that I hurt you
It's something I must live with everyday
And all the pain I've put you through
I wish that I could take it all away
And be the one who catches all your tears

That's why I need you to hear. . . 

It's funny that you want to catch the tears now, because you are the reason that they fall in the first place.  Do you find sometimes that when you cry, people around you don't know how to deal with it, because they're too busy thinking about how your crying affects them, rather than trying to get to the bottom of the reason for your crying.  I guess people need to understand what having empathy means, to know what having sympathy means - man I would be happier if they had telepathy, rather than apathy, because then they would at least be able to try to understand.

And the reason is you
And the reason is you
And the reason is you
And the reason is you

I hope that you don't hurt anymore people.  I hope that I don't hurt any people.  I mean I don't intentionally set out to hurt people during my normal day, that's not a way to live life, to consciously think - right, I'm going to get up, leave the house and hurt as many people as possible today.  Instead I think about the reason why I need to connect with as many people as possible - to shed some light on how, they can be the reason for someone else to change, for themselves to change and for everyone's worlds, wherever you may be, to be a better place for all to enjoy.

I've found a reason to show
A side of me you didn't know
A reason for all that I do
And the reason is you. . .