Friday, 26 June 2015

Higher. . .

I've written about Creed in a previous blog post (see My Sacrifice).  I don't know if it's because I'm returning to the area of my childhood, but I have been really channelling my inner rocker as of late.  I remember as a child of the 80s fondly listening to Duran Duran, Queen, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Mike and the Mechanics, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister and The Rolling Stones.  This steered me well later on in life when I became a music teacher and the majority of my students were huge rock fans.

When dreaming I'm guided to another world 
Time and time again
At sunrise I fight to asleep
'Cause there's a hunger, a longing to escape
From the life I live when I'm awake
So let's go there
Let's make our escape
Come on, let's go there
Let's ask can we stay?

The duality of a dream world and your actual life is something that people either subscribe to or brush off.  How far would you be prepared to go to try and make your dream match the life you lead when you are awake?  It sounds like this is more than just your average "I'm sick of my boring life" routine.  It is more about an avid desire to be transcendent in a place far removed from our current reality.

Can you take me higher?
To a place where blind men see
Can you take me higher?
To a place with golden streets

What do you imagine going higher would look like for you?  I always had this recurring dream as a child that I could fly and it was weird because I'm pretty sure that I could feel myself flying, but I think it was just me moving around and mimicking the flying movements in my sleep (like I knew how humans fly lol),  To be able to go somewhere higher and see miracles that I can't see on earth - that would be pretty amazing.  You would probably see things that you never dreamed possible, which probably explains why you would want to go higher in the first place, where you would not be judged, you would be free to be whoever you wanted to be.


Although I would like our world to change
It helps me to appreciate
Those nights and those dreams
But, my friend, I'd sacrifice all those nights
If I could make the earth and my dreams the same
The only difference 
Is to let love replace all hate. . . 

There comes a point when losing yourself in your dream isn't enough, particularly when it doesn't match your current reality.  So while you were happy with the dreams to be an escape for you to live out your fantasy they are ultimately not enough - those worlds now need to be combined.  You want to be able to feel the same way in your waking life as you do in your dreams.  It sounds simple enough but it's an extremely difficult and tricky thing to consider and act upon.  Few people could do it, but I think it boils down to how much you are willing to make your dreams, your reality.  It is also hard to think about replacing all hate with love as well.  You would need to be a special kind of person to be able to do that - love in the face of all hate.

Up high I feel like I'm alive for the very first time
Set up high enough I'm strong enough to take these dreams
And make them mine. . . 

I hope that you find every opportunity to feel alive.
There's nothing more satisfying than feeling like you are alive for the first time,
It feels like all of your senses are super heightened at once and you are able to drink in everything in your surroundings with such clarity, like nothing you have ever experienced.

I hope that you take those dreams, that you have the strength to take them and make them your own too . . .