Friday, 5 June 2015

Flowers. . .

This blog post is dedicated to all of my favourite people who deserve flowers and a thank you to those people who give me flowers when I least expect it  :-)


The world can be so cold but you are always warm
When my back is tired, you take me in your arms
You're the moral compass directing me to light
You're the golden glow in the middle of my night

In recognition of the person that you are
In celebration of your heart

That's why I wanna give you your flowers now
That's why I wanna give you your flowers now. . . 

Life wouldn't be the interesting and exciting ball of confusion without having the strong pillars to hold you up when you need support the most.  I've had conversations with a lot of friends and colleagues recently about how important it is for them to connect with people.  

I think the older that you get, the more refined your taste becomes when it comes to developing meaningful relationships and connections 


You're the sacred in the face of the profane
You held the mirror up and helped me face the pain
Just like velvet covering my heart of glass
You're the reason I know that this too, shall pass

For the gorgeous human being that you are
For helping me accept my scars

That's why I wanna give you your flowers now
That's why I wanna give you your flowers now. . . 

I want you to think for a moment about the situations in your life, incidents where you have dealt with someone that you absolutely detest, someone that you think - they're never getting any flowers from me!  I have been extremely grateful for the greatest lessons in my life that have stemmed from being mistreated, from being abused (in every which way imaginable) and to have learned how to be at my strongest in spite of the pain.

You also learn about your own accountability for your own actions and not constantly thinking with that victim mentality either. We must never forget to maintain that sense of balance, because it is the very nature of the imbalance that causes us stress, rather than feeling blessed.

I hope that they brighten your life
The same way your smile brightens mine

There's something poignant about giving the gift of flowers, especially fresh cut flowers.  They can be beautiful enough and have a wonderful fragrance but it doesn't last long, it is fleeting, much like the connections you might have with people in your life.

I mean look at the phases of what's happening before today and where you hope to heading.
We've read a lot about all the friends or loved ones that we have for a reason, a season and for life.
I'm a firm believer that even when friendships or connections are severed because they happened for a reason (like some pivot point or catalyst in a fictional story) or it was only for a season. to give us happy memories of something so good that they are like flowers. . . not meant to last forever. . . but you're glad that it happened. . .

My world had blown away and you are all that's left
You took the needle from the center of my chest

For the gorgeous human being that you are
For showing me I am a star. . . 

That's why I wanna give you your flowers now
That's why I wanna give you your flowers now. . . 

I guess this is a thank you to everyone from my past (and most most definitely in my present), because I know that I have a future that lays ahead of me - just as uncertain and unforgiving, but also just as beautiful and wondrous beyond my comprehension, expectations and desires.

I hope that you don't forget to take the time to recognise those people who have been responsible for the wealth that they bring into your life - either by accident or on purpose. either by malice or as blessings in disguise.

That's why I wanna give you your flowers now. . .