Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Fight. . .

Another blog post for you my friend +Monique Simpson (lucky I'm on annual leave LOL)

The thing I love the most about Tribal State songs is that they give me enough time to ease into a song with each introduction.  Fight is no exception.  By the time the lead vocals kick in at 43 seconds, you have a clear idea of what at least one of the motifs will be in the piece, before a variation of the same motif is played.

I was warned to be prepared for changes
Sacrifice, my new torn pages
Save your life
And don't you think to
Fight fight fight 
Don't fight fight fight

Preparing for changes can be difficult, particularly when they are unplanned, thrust upon you or they are consequences of actions that have lead you to those changes taking place.  I'm not saying that planned changes are all positive either, but at least with planned changes, you can start to minimise some of the potential damage that can be caused by any warnings received (those woe betide or caveat emptor ones). 

They said to me it's one or the other
Prepare to see, the different colours of your life
Now leave her there don't
Fight fight fight
Don't fight fight fight

When I hear these lyrics, I think about different scenarios that could apply here - being asked to make a choice between your passion and obligation is hard.  It's more than hard, it's gut wrenching, particularly when the obligation could include other people that would normally fall within your care like a partner or your children.  What different colours would be bold enough to make your life beautiful without those nearest and dearest to share it with?  You may find that your passion and obligation are inextricably intertwined and you can't separate the two because they are dependent on each other, just as the rest of the world seems to be dependent on you too.

To listen to "Fight" - check out https://www.reverbnation.com/tribalstate 

I pray to see your face
And I pray to show them how we got to stay together

I really hate having to constantly prove to people my measure as a person.  When you have to prove to people that you have every right to be in the same room as them. because they have such a high opinion of themselves that they know nothing about you.  I mean, it's totally cool if people don't know anything about you that you don't want them to, but when they completely ignore what you have to say or bypass you by asking other people for information - that's just plain rude and unnecessary.   

I was born to be prepared for changes 
Sacrifice, my born pages
Save your life
I'll take you in
I'll fight fight fight
I'll fight fight fight

I guess the only thing that changes in life - is change itself.  We constantly change, it's just that we are at different rates or paces of change.  We can change faster than other people, and that causes frustration when we are trying to get on with progressing an important initiative or project that has potential to save multiple lives.  So what can we do about this?  We just need to continue to fight and keep working hard to do what drives us, what fuels us.  It's more than what gets us out of bed in the morning, it's what stops us from sleeping at night - because if we fall asleep we aren't awake to make things happen fast enough (but that could just be me trying to explain away my insomnia haha).

I'll fight fight fight 
I laugh and I cry
And I pray pray pray
To be shown the light
They try try try
To break us down
I'll fight fight fight
I'll fight fight fight

The background vocals serve like an underlying choir lurking beneath this chorus upon repeat.  The frenetic pace of the song shows great use of compositional techniques, particularly when you consider the layering effects in the use of instrumentation and guitar techniques with the distortion.  

I hope that whenever you need to fight (because we all know the struggle is real) that you have people close by rooting for you in your corner.  I think that even if people are always going to try and break your spirit and make you question everything you stand for, you come across those people who try to hate on your dreams and sabotage all of the good work that you do - don't bother fighting those people, they're not worth your time and energy.  Pretty soon they will fall by the wayside and realise that everything you sacrificed was always going to be beyond their comprehension and appreciation.

And I pray pray pray
To show them how we got to stay. . .