Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Bring it on home to me. . .

This track is a song request from +Anaru White 

I've written about Sam Cooke in a previous blog post (see A change is gonna come).  For the life of me I can't find a live performance of Sam Cooke singing this track with Lou Rawls.  There are live recordings (audio) of the performance, but no video footage on YouTube.  Hearing these two greats singing, sounds to me like I'm overhearing a plea of a conversation between two friends.  

If you ever change your mind
About leaving, leaving me behind
Baby bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me

Yeah
(Yeah)
Yeah
(Yeah)
Yeah
(Yeah)

The lead vocal is supported by the vocal harmony, signifying a friendship particularly played out in the call and response of the echoes during the "yeah" section.  It's a song of regret, of lost love, where I see the two friends are in agreement about what love can do to you, when you lose that love of a woman.  You can probably imagine that the two friends are sharing a drink together and bemoaning the current situation.  Hindsight is 20/20 and unless you are willing to commit yourself to experiencing a relationship (inclusive of all the pain and drama, because love isn't all about the honeymoon period, but about the realness of how you can connect in an intimate and meaningful way with another human being).



I'll give you jewellery and money too
That ain't all
That ain't all I'll do for you baby if you bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me

No woman in her right mind would be swayed in returning to a relationship by material things (at least you would hope she wouldn't but there are some women who return to broken relationships for less).  The promise of change, of being treated better, of a changed man, accepting these changes and promises and these promises of change is totally dependent on the forgiving nature of a woman.  Do you keep going back for more?  Are you keen on taking your sweet loving back?  Does he deserve it?

You know I'll always be your slave til I'm buried
Till I'm buried in my grave
Oh
Honey bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me

I don't know about you but I wouldn't to have a partner to be a slave for me. But then again it's totally up to you what you want to see in a partner, who will be your equal, your perfect fit, the person who connects with you on a level that you never knew you needed but now come to realise that you can't live without, only because your world has changed and well, the world seems brighter with them in it.

One more thing 
I tried to treat you right but you stayed out
Stayed out in the night but I'll forgive you
Bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me. . . 

All of a sudden it doesn't sound like an apology anymore with this verse, but it's ok.  He's forgiven you.

I hope that whoever you choose to bring your sweet loving home to, that they appreciate you, love you and that you treat them with the love and respect that they want from you too, as reciprocity is the key.

Too much sweet loving might be a good or bad thing. . . just bring it on home to me. . .