Sunday, 24 May 2015

Yellow flicker beat. . .

NZ Music Month - Yellow flicker beat by Lorde

I've written about Lorde in a previous blog post (see Royals).  I haven't seen the Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 film for which she wrote the soundtrack.  Sometimes I don't watch the blockbuster films or listen to the songs until well after the rest of the world has killed them with constant airplay.  Now that I've had a chance to listen to Yellow flicker beat I have not been disappointed.  

I'm a princess cut from marble, smoother than a storm
And the scars that mark my body, they're silver and gold
My blood is a flood of rubies, precious stones
It keeps my veins hot, the fire's found a home in me
I move through town, I'm quiet like a fight
And my necklace is of rope, I tie it and untie

And now people talk to me, but nothing ever hits home
People talk to me and the voices just burn holes
I'm done with it (ooh)

As much as the song is supposed to emulate the inner strength of the character Katniss played by Jennifer Lawrence in the film, it isn't hard for me to see that the song can also be applied to Lorde herself.  She has constantly been a hot topic since she emerged onto the music scene, and is probably NZ's most well-known artist to date with her music enjoying the success that hasn't been enjoyed by other kiwi artists or bands since before her time.  (She has paparazzi following her around, no other kiwi artists have had as much media exposure as she has).

Do you think you feel like that sometimes though?  That you're done with people and think you know what?  Not really interested in what they have to say and don't want to engage in anything that they might think is important, because it's no longer important or it never was to you, but I guess they assume that you think it does.  


This is the start of how it all ends
They used to shout my name, now they whisper it
I'm speeding up and this is the red, orange, yellow flicker beat sparking up my heart
We're at the start, colours disappear
I never watch the stars, there's so much down here
So I just try to keep up with the red, orange, yellow flicker beat sparking up my heart

I think the more that you do things in the world - whether they are good or bad (depends on who you hurt I guess?) then people will either shout or whisper your name, they will either be happy or annoyed to see you and they will either be fake or genuine to you.

What are the things that spark up your heart?  The things that cause that red. orange, yellow flicker beat to keep beating incessantly and connect those sparks that cause those implosions and explosions when you start to feel again.

I dream all year, but they're not the sweet kinds
And the shivers move down my shoulders in double time

And now people talk to me, I'm slipping out of reach now
People talk to me, all all their faces blur
But I got my fingers laced together and I made a little prison
And I'm locking up everyone who ever laid a finger on me
I'm done with it (ooh)

I hope that you don't lose sight of where you're going and where you're heading.  If you don't have a grip on reality or you're starting to lose it, don't be too flustered about it, there is an eerie sense of comfort in that "not knowing" - it's that transformation or transition phase that can often be the most fluid that you will ever feel.

Do you have thoughts of revenge?  Do you seek retribution?
In my experience seeking revenge or retribution isn't really worth it, because then you're just as bad as those who have wronged you.  The law of nature tends to take care of them in a far better (or worse) way than you could ever hope to imagine, so you just stay focused on what matters to you, what motivates you and what will sustain your happiness and positive impact in the life.  I mean, there are people relying on you, you know, the good people who deserve your time and energy to make their worlds a better place to live.

And this is the red, orange, yellow flicker beat sparking up my heart
And this is the red, orange, yellow flicker beat-beat-beat-beat. . . 

Listening to your heart may be one of the smartest things you will ever do.
I hope that your heart continues to spark up.
I hope that your heart continues to beat-beat-beat-beat. . .