Sunday, 31 May 2015

Little things. . .

NZ Music month - Little things by Trinity Roots

The music video for this track was directed by Chris Graham.  He has directed some of the top music videos of NZ music over the years.  I had the pleasure of sitting in front of him once at the New Zealand Pacific Music Awards.  I went to be a "plus one" for my friend Michelle Williams who works as the education coordinator for schools in Aoteaora, specifically with the NZ Music in schools programme, getting musicians as mentors in schools.  She presented an award on behalf of the New Zealand Music Commission.  This commission is responsible for the promotion of New Zealand music during NZ Music month each year. As I've mentioned previously, the aim of the month is to significantly increase the airplay of NZ music on radio and all usual media outlets i.e. music television.  As a former music teacher, it was one of the key units of learning in my junior music curriculum.  I always felt that it was important for music students to appreciate our own starts in our own backyard :-)


Please please please check in mine eyes
For I and I have nothing to hide
As I wipe the slate clean, share this with you
Please please please check in mine eyes
For I and I have nothing to hide
As I wipe the slate clean, share this with you
Take on my own, the pain of your soul

The vulnerability that one feels when they truly expose or reveal the truth in their own eyes - to another person can be life-changing, earth-shattering and just plain nerve-racking.  This is particularly the case when there are trust issues in relationships, in friendships, with fellow colleagues, even in extreme circumstances with strangers during random events such as natural disasters.  

Have you taken on the pain of someone else's soul?  It's hard to carry isn't it?  It's heavy, real heavy, and if you're not careful it can change, not just hamper, but even transform (debilitate even?) the way that you wake, it profoundly affects your gait.  In the hope of trying to makes things new, better and start from scratch, you wipe it clean - but does it really change what's happened?  Can you look past. . . the past?

It's the little things
It's the little things
It's the little things
It's the little things
That really matter

The thing about. well, little things - is that size doesn't necessarily equate to scale.  You would need to be precise with the scale because  everyone has their own sizing estimates when it comes to what "little" means.  Buying t-shirts for example, from different outlets - is a surefire way to see how different retail manufacturers see what being "little" or "small" means.

These fine fine lines, make for trying times
And trying times make you strong
You take your strength, pass it around
Pass it around, and then move it on

I've been spending some time with people from my past and it's taught me how far I have come, how much I have changed and how much further I would like to go.  Spending time with people in my present has helped me to think about at times, the plateau that I am in and I consider what we are meant to learn from each other, why particular groups of people are in my radius right now.  It's the little things that matter, you know.  And for me - being connected and being understood may seem little - but if you add all those little things together - it adds up to one gigantic thing that matters above all else.

They break you down
It's the little things
They break your life
It's the little things 
They make you mad
It's the little things
That really matter

And this final verse says it all really.  It tells us what the impact of those little things can do.
If we forget to address the little things - they can break us, break our lives, make us mad and cause to question what might have seemed small, was actually not so little.

I hope that even when the little things overwhelm you, that you understand the purpose of what those little things are meant to do - make you stronger, so that you can the experiences gained from being that strong and pass it onto others.

So I pass my strength onto you.
It's the little things, you know, that really matter. . .