Sunday, 19 April 2015

You can get it if you really want. . .

This blog post is dedicated to my fellow postgrads in the battle to gain their 
PhDs, Masters and honours degrees at the Faculty of Education, 
University of Auckland, Aotearoa

You can get it if you really want
You can get it if you really want
You can get it if you really want
But you must try, try and try, try and try
You'll succeed at last

Those of us (comrades in arms it feels!) who pursue higher tertiary education do so for different reasons.  The thing that unites us all is the struggle, as we all know the struggle is real.  I think what being on this journey has shown me is that I have a voice, a unique Pacific Island perspective that needs to surface.  The irony is not lost on me that I've chosen to profile the voices of Pacific Island students in secondary schools, so my voice is actually their voice.  


Persecution you must fear
Win or lose you got to get your share
You've got your mind set on a dream
You can get it though hard it may seem now. . . 

We must be prepared to be persecuted for our ideas.  For some people. that's their job.  They will be placed in our lives to critique our work and rip us to shreds.  For other people, they will make it their job but not really provide any constructive criticism.  To those people. you can choose to ignore their ill-informed critique or store it in the "deal with it later" or "recycle" box - sift through the baseless negativity and come out with something new to take on board.  There will be little room for doubt in the business we are in - no time for being a halfass (people who have seen my ass pyramid will know what I'm talking about - hmmm.... maybe that's a future blog post in the making....).  I want to share with my fellow students that we need to rely on each other to get through, but more than just get through - to run with each others, cheering each other along, ripping our own work to shreds then building it back up again - why?  Because that's what critical friends and true academics do.  

Rome was not built on a day
Opposition will come your way
But the hotter the battle you see
It's the sweeter the victory now

Whatever opposition comes - I'll be prepared.  I'll also help my friends too - I mean if we all swore on  the Hippocratic oath or at least made up our own version of it?  Like the Hippocratic oath it would need to be steeped in deference to Greek mythology because the ancient knowledge from which our learning is derived is from there, even though we are using it to provide a voice for our own peoples (I wonder what the ancient Greeks would've thought of that?  Heathens becoming educated ha!).

You can get it if you really want
You can get it if you really want
You can get it if you really want. . . 

I understand that the journey to this point has been long and arduous.  I have learned from an early age that anything worth having in life was never easy to gain.  People in my life (including some members of my family) do not hold the same value that I place on higher education - this attitude is because they have their own values and priorities that are different to mine.  To that end - I accept their decisions, just as I hope they accept mine.  I guess the only differences will be that I'm hoping that what I've tasked myself with doing is going to revolutionise how they look at education for their own children and grandchildren (not that they know it yet).

I hope you all aim for the end.  But we need to remember that the end of our academic degrees, especially those of us on the PhD journey - this is only the beginning of our academic careers.  
But you must try, try and try, try and try
You'll succeed at last . . .