Tuesday, 7 April 2015

The Quit. . .

This blog post is a a song request from +Rochelle Savage 

I don't know much about Flip Grater other than it's the stage name of Clare Grater.  Check out her website - www.flipgrater.com to learn more about the Paris-based artist originally from North Canterbury right here in Aotearoa.  This track reminds me of Norah Jones' Come away with me but she sounds like Jewel.  

I'm quittin' my life cold turkey
I'm savin' up for a spell inspire/ spellin' spire? on a beach
Far from your reach

I'm quittin' my life cold turkey
I won't be here when you make it back to our home
You'll be on your own

Even if it takes a long time 
For my hands to stop shaking
Even if it's harder than I thought it would be
It's what I need

You can be forgiven for getting song lyrics wrong, particularly when there are no online sites that have lyrics of this track - so the second line of the first verse can be interpreted by however you hear it.  This reminds me of Seal who once in his album notes said that he hated including song lyrics but preferred for his listeners to interpret what they heard and sang along anyway.  It wasn't the words that mattered, but the fact that you were into the music.

So why are your hands shaking?  Having withdrawal symptoms from the destructive spiral that you're on?  The thing about destructive spirals is that you're so engrossed in your situation that you're unaware that you're in the spiral.  By the time you realise you're on this spiral, it becomes harder than ever to try to regain your equilibrium and come up with some strategies or a process to sort yourself out, to calm yourself and find a sense of peace.  Despite life being hard, you do need to make the difficult decisions to progress your journey - as reluctant as you might be.  I mean, how else will you get your hands to stop shaking?  All we've got is time, right?



I'm quitting my life cold turkey
It's the only way out for a junkie like me
To finally be free

Even if it takes a long time 
For my hands to stop shaking
Even if it's harder than I thought it would be
It's what I need

How do you get to be in a destructive or abusive relationship where the inequity and inequality in terms of the power dynamics means that it's what you've been condition to it, because it's what you've grown up in, what would give you the strength to finally 'quit' that situation?

The thing about quitting cold turkey is that it means you're strong enough to do something without any aides, without any assistance or other forms of support.  This suggests to me that you've gone through the necessary process to now reach this plateau.  Being in a plateau isn't necessarily a bad thing.  It allows you the opportunity to see what's on the landscape, on the horizon and figure out what you need to do to take the next steps on your journey.

(Instrumental interlude)

Even if it takes a long time 
For my hands to stop shaking
Even if it's harder than I thought it would be
It's what I need

I'm quitting my life cold turkey

I'm saving up for a spell inspire/spellin' spire? on the beach
Far from your reach. . . 

I hope that you manage to find some distance from the bad influences that threaten to overwhelm you and keep you in that stagnant place that doesn't allow you to breathe, grow and be the best version of yourself - the  purest form of truth that you are and more than what you need to be - what you need to be.  Not for others, but just for you.

The challenge lies in the fact that if the bad influence that you need to distance yourself is actually yourself.  Physically impossible to run away from yourself, what can you do?  I can't tell you what you need to be.  That's totally up to you.  So I guess, I believe, that if you know who you are and how you see yourself and you're happy with what's staring back at you in the mirror - that's more than enough for me :-)