Thursday, 30 April 2015

Mandinka. . .

This blog post is a song request from +Rochelle Savage 

The thing I love most about Sinead O'Connor is her unique vocal style.  Her album The Lion and the Cobra released in 1987 included this track Mandinka.  I was still in elementary/primary school at the time and wasn't too familiar with this song - apart from Nothin' compares 2 u which was written for her by Prince (formerly known as The Artist formerly known as Prince - but he's back to being Prince again).  Her unique way of singing is best illustrated in how she can transition between the higher register of her voice with the softer lower range.  It's an ability that few singers can accomplish well but something that they all strive to be able to do (technically, but most good singers will tell you, they just sing because they love to sing).

I'm dancing the seven veils
Want you to pick up my scarf
See how the black moon fades
Soon I can give you my heart

I don't know no shame
I feel no pain
I can't see the flame
But I do know Mandinka
I do know Man-din-ka
I do know Man-din-ka. . . 

I love songs that are open to interpretation.  They mean different things to different people.  It can go beyond the words but also encompass meaning to do with how the music articulates those lyrics.  I think I posted something in a previous blog post about how Seal talks about his refusal to include lyrics in his album releases because he believes it's up to the listeners to interpret for themselves what he sings about, rather than striving for the accuracy of the lyrics (unless of course you're starring in your lip sync video clip and you need the most accurate lyrics for authenticity!).


They're throwing it all this way
Dragging it back to the start
And they say ' See how the glass is raised?'
I have refused to take part
I told them 'drink something new'
Please let me pull something through. . . 

It has been famously said that when Sinead O'Connor released this album , that she didn't kowtow to record executives about what they wanted her to do, how they wanted her to be perceived by her potential audience.  In our everyday lives - are we as brave?  Do we ind ourselves wanting to constantly conform to everything that the rest of society does because we need to be seen as 'normal' as opposed to just being who we are?  Since when has 'not being yourself' not been enough?  It is essentially the case when you stand out from the crowd. the classic 'tall poppy syndrome' where you stick out like a sore thumb exuding that air of confidence that you're not allowed to possess because you're too ahead of your time or apparently smarter than everybody else in the room. . .

Soon I can give you my heart
Soon I can give you my heart 
Soon I can give you my heart. . . 

I hope that when you share your heart, give it to people who appreciate and understand the 'realness' that is you, to introduce the essence of your heart to like-minds to show you can share your big heart with people who can see what it contains, who can recognise and respect the power of its healing and know that when it can be broken and shatter into a thousand pieces - that they would gladly pick it up, help you put your heart back together and leave you alone when you need to heal.  I do. . . .