Friday, 10 April 2015

It keeps you runnin'. . .

I have written a previous blog post about The Doobie Brothers (see What a fool believes).  This blog post focuses on the track It keeps you runnin'.  It represents a story to me about a guy who seems to be trying to reason with a girl, trying to entice her to push aside her indecision to be involved with him, because of issues that she has with her past (or with herself) as she can't seem to stay in the same spot to confront her feelings (if any) for him.

There are a couple of lines in the song that would irk me if I was the woman in this situation.
There is a difference between being alone and being lonely.  He is implying that hiding my heart is not the best way forward to proceed in a relationship.  So what if I'm running away from a relationship?  What business is it of his?



Say, where you wanna go
Girl, where you gonna hide
You go on leavin' out your heart
And all it's sayin' deep inside

From here I can feel your heartbeat
Oh, you got me all wrong
You ain't got no worry
You just been lonely too long

There's nothing more of a turnoff than a pushy guy who thinks he knows you, who thinks he can read you like a book and can unravel the mysteries of why you won't open up to him.
All of sudden things are your fault that you are having misgivings about starting a new relationship or taking things to another level, because you're not actually reading him correctly.  You're the one with the problem, you've been lonely too long, that's why.  So trust him completely because you've judged his character all wrong.  And besides, if he can feel your heartbeat, I hope he's speaking figuratively here; every woman knows that inviting physical contact just unlocks unnecessary trouble.

I know what it means to hide your heart
From a long time ago
Oh, darlin'

It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'
It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'
It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'
It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'

What makes him think that he knows you from a long time ago?  Was he there?  If the guy that all of a sudden is starting to take interest in you is some ex-boyfriend who's wanting to try his luck again, then he should stay there - in that long time ago with all of those memories.  I don't understand how ex-boyfriends can think that they can resurface and try to reconnect with you.  There's a reason why they are in the past, and that they knew the 'old' you.  That person doesn't exist anymore.

So I guess if you're runnin' from an ex-boyfriend who thinks that he has an opportunity now to stake a claim on you because he thinks there's an opportunity - kindly show him the door and make him see that there was no advertised position and that he needn't have presumed that he would've been the best candidate for a regraded position with no actual vacancy. . .

Oh I know how you feel
Hey, you know I been there
But what you're keepin' to yourself
Oh, you know it just ain't fair

Are you gonna worry
For the rest of your life
Why you in such a hurry
To be lonely one more night

Of course he's going to say that it isn't fair that you're keepin' your feelings to yourself.
Be cool, be collected, be careful.
The last thing you want is to have your heart spilled out to him on a silver platter so that he can pick it up, fling it around the room, make farting noises with it and smash it into little pieces when you're not home.  I wouldn't worry for the rest of your life - just live it.  And it's ok to be lonely one more night - you're actually spending some quality "alone" time with yourself.  You don't need a significant other to make you feel less lonely.  I would be in a hurry to live my life - not let some obsessive guy try to paint ridiculous pictures of being together, when I hadn't factored him being in the composition of the artwork that is - your life.

I know what it means to hide your heart
From a long time ago
Oh, darlin'

It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'
It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'
It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'
It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'

I know I sound super cynical.  I admit, it sounds quite 'negative Nancy.'
But all I'm saying is that I hope that if you're going to run - that you keep runnin' for the right reasons.  You're runnin' because you're runnin' towards some goals in your life - not towards the arms of some man that you think you need to be a complete woman.  Because every strong woman knows - she was strong before her man came along, and she will continue to be strong when her man is gone.

How do I know this?
It has happened to me.
So if I feel like I need to keep runnin' until some man makes me stop and look at him - he better be worth the distraction. . . it keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'. . .