Thursday, 16 April 2015

I can see clearly now. . .

I can see clearly now by Johnny Nash has been covered by many artists, but my favourite is by Jimmy Cliff.  The first time I heard this song was on the radio as a child.  It's one of those infectious songs that keeps you moving.  I think it has something to do with the steady, regular, walking pace of the tempo, so that if you were dancing, all you want to do is shuffle.  Later in high school it would be one of the songs that we would be tested on in a classroom assessment in our first year :-)

I can see clearly now the rain has gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day

The thing about rain is that eventually it stops.
Having that fat heavy rain block your eyesight, that Forrest Gump talks about while on his tour of duty in Vietnam, saturating your clothes to your skin, making it so heavy for you to keep trekking your way through those obstacles; would you have the stamina to keep going?


I think I can make it now the pain has gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is that rainbow I've been praying for
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day

What bad feelings normally surface for you?  Are they bad feelings that people try to put on you?  Do they originate from some deep seated set of beliefs that you are trying to avoid dealing with?  I can imagine the look on your face though, that overwhelming sense of relief when the rainbow appears, notedly when you experience a breakthrough after an event that threatened to break you - this tells how tenuous and delicate the balance can be tipped in favour of a position - what determines this shift in the balance?  Is it out of your control every time you are immersed in a tricky situation like this?

Look around, there's nothing but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothing but blue skies. . .

This bridge section is probably one my favourite parts in a song.  When I was a child, I would remember pretending that I was an aeroplane outside in the back yard with my arms outstretched squinting up into the sunlight while I glided around the freshly cut grass making aeroplane noises.

Oh it's gonna be a bright, sunshiny day
It's gonna be so bright, oh yeah
Oh what bright, bright, sunshiny day
Oh yeah. . yeah. . .

With no obstacles in the way of what you're doing, there would be nothing ahead but blue skies.    
What lies ahead for you? Obstacles can be people, processes or situations that threaten to block you from achieving your goals.  I would try to envision that even though these obstacles exist - that they have an expiry date, that you have the power to dispel them and have them removed from your life.  
I hope that you always keep that glorious image of blue skies ahead of you to drive you, keep you focused on a clear pathway ahead without obstacles.  Never give up hope that things will go your way.  Your bright, sunshiny day will come. . .