Sunday, 26 April 2015

Go your own way. . .

I've got about 48 drafts of songs sitting in a folder, all in various stages of readiness.  It pretty much sums up parts of my life at the moment, in particular my interactions with people and the various stages of development with my relationships with them and how things are progressing.  Today's song is Go your own way by Fleetwood Mac, a band that I listened to on various easy listening and soft rock music stations growing up.  Their music is everywhere - in shopping malls, in restaurants, in reunion tours and greatest hits compilation CDs.  Like ABBA with relationship roller coasters that permeated the band, I don't think they would've produced some of their best music without the ups and downs that relationships in a band wouldn't have done.

Loving you
Isn't the right thing to do
How can I 
Ever change things that I feel

If I could

Maybe I could give you my world
How can I 
When you won't take it from me

It's hard to love someone for a variety of reasons.
The main one that stands out is probably one where they have betrayed you and it has changed your feelings towards them.  You might have tried to help them sort things in their own life and are now hell-bent on destroying yours.  Even if you do offer up your world to them, would it be enough?  They might not want to take it from you because they want more than your world, they want your life and everything associated with it (not quite Single White Female but not quite to the extreme of Tootsie either).

All you need to understand is that people will do crazy things because they will feel trapped, pressured or backed into a corner, so 9 times out of 10 they are reacting to the situation and their inability to properly communicate what the heck it is that is going on in their minds, which you can't read (unless it makes sense or you're a mindreader).




You can go your own way
Go your own way
You can call it
Another lonely day
You can go your own way
Go your own way

If I could

Baby I'd give you my world
Open up
Everything's waiting for you. . .

My favourite part of the song is the epic guitar solo before the final chorus.
Personally I think instrumental solos are the best way to allow time for preceding lyrics to sit within us and digest.  It's always what I think about when I listen to lyrics in songs and let them do their magic around me.  I hope that whenever we choose to go our own way, especially if if it goes against the direction in which the crowd is going, that you're happy.  Sometimes happiness is situated in loneliness.  I know I've been there for a while now and it's a pretty good place to be in.  That stupid position that people hold where if you were once married before. that you need to be with someone - hmmm..... no.

I hope that if someone comes along and tries to open up their world to me, that they will at least consider if I want to be a part of that world or not.  I think I just need people to understand that I have my own world to consider and flesh out, map out, live out and that of course, if people just happen to come along and try to offer you a whole new world, another world that isn't part of the plan, yes you will consider it, but I wouldn't jump ship cos I've got things to do, other people who rely on me in their worlds and I would just keep on, keeping on in the conviction that my gut will tell me when it's right to do. . . anything.  I can go my own way, I can call it . . .  so go your own way, you can call it. . .