Friday, 10 April 2015

Everybody's talkin'. . .

This blog post is a song request from +TeMihinga Komene

The next couple of blog posts will feature songs from the Forrest Gump soundtrack.  The movie was released in my senior year of high school and I remember playing the Alan Silvestri feather theme on the piano for school assemblies.  I learned to play it by ear before I saw the music notation and the theme bookends the movie quite nicely.

This blog post features Everybody's talkin' originally written by Fred Neill in 1966, but it really took off when Harry Nilsson released it in 1969.  Before it was featured on the Forrest Gump soundtrack, it was the main theme for Midnight Cowboy starring Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.




Everybody's talking at me
I don't hear a word they're sayin'
Only the echoes of my mind

People stopping staring
I can't see their faces
Only the shadows of their eyes

Has this happened to you?  You could be in the middle of a crowded room at a social event and people are engrossed in conversation, trying to engage you in some pointless anecdote but you're completely somewhere else.  You could be in a meeting with everyone sitting around you, watching you expectantly, waiting for you to contribute some pearls of wisdom, some deep and meaningful insight that could potentially solve the world's problems in one fell swoop, but you're completely somewhere else.

I've seen that happen to other people in a room.  I've sometimes been that person that people have stopped talking and starting staring at, to try and gauge your reaction.  I guess it depends on whether you don't mind being the subject of idle gossip or how well people start communicating with you to ensure that they have your best interests at heart.  How deep are those shadows in those eyes that stop and stare at you?  Can you see right through them?

I'm going where the sun keeps shining
Through the pouring rain
Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the North east winds
Sailing on a summer breeze
And skipping over the ocean like a stone

Where does the weather suit my clothes?
The song conjures up images of sailing in some hot and balmy location - someplace tropical.
If I really wanted to go somewhere where the weather suited my clothes, it would be somewhere cold, somewhere that would suit my comfortable jeans, hooded jerseys and beanies.  It's not that I would want to be somewhere cold that matches my icy interior, far from it.  I just can't stand the heat sometimes.  I've always had the mentality that it's easier to get warm, rather than cool down.  The irony of being a Pacific Islander, born in a foreign country she now calls home, but can't stand the heat of her ancestral origins.  Don't get me wrong, I can acclimatise quite quickly if the need necessitates, I would just prefer not to indulge in it.

I won't let you leave my love behind
No I won't let you leave
I won't let you leave my love behind
I won't let you leave. . . 

I hope that even though you will escape to a place that suits your clothes, you will probably find it hard to wear your love in that new place you're travelling in.  Wearing your heart on a sleeve seems cliche and it is, but I think that the beauty of leaving love behind is that you can choose to do so.  There is nothing that can stop you from experiencing love somewhere else, with somebody else, in some other place where nobody will know you and where you long to explore.

Even if it does mean that everybody's talkin'. . .