Sunday, 15 March 2015

What a difference a day made. . .

This blog post is a song request by +Anaru White

What a difference a day made as sung by Jamie Cullum is officially my new favourite song.  You know how you can get when you hear a new song for the first time and you just absolutely love it, play it to death and annoy everyone else in your household?  That's me - and this song. Originally sung by the late great Dinah Washington (it was actually her top selling hit on the pop charts in the 50s).  Like Dinah, Jamie also sings and plays the piano, as seen in the video clip below :-)


What a difference a day made, twenty four little hours
Brought the sun and flowers where there used to be rain
My yesterday was blue dear
Today I'm a part of you dear
My lonely nights are through dear
Since you said you were mine

This song would make the perfect wedding waltz - as I have already suggested to my friend Anaru.  It's a beautiful song about love and how love can quickly manifest itself in one's life (only twenty little hours after all), particularly when you didn't expect to fall in love or be in love.  When does the realisation hit?  I guess it's the romantic part about being in love isn't it?  You never know you're in love until it hits you, floors you so that you can't speak or make sense of anything else in your world until you can face the facts that you are, in fact, in love.  When someone is able to tell you that they love you - there is a natural sense of uneasiness or suspicion about whether their intentions are genuine (for real, let's be honest) but hey it's better to be safe than sorry!

Oh, what a difference a day made
There's a rainbow before me
Skies above me can't be stormy since that moment of bliss
That thrilling kiss 
It's heaven when you find romance on your menu
What a difference a day made
And a difference is you, is you

Ah the thrilling kiss.  You can normally tell when someone kisses you, you're definitely looking into how they kiss you.  Part of it is technique, part of it is them trying to figure out how you like to be kissed and relying on you to give some signs about what will make the kiss "thrilling" for you - then they continue doing what they're doing because you're enjoying it.  I smiled when I heard the line "It's heaven when you find romance on your menu" because it makes me think about when you're in a restaurant and you're trying to decide what to eat, trying to decide what type of food you feel like eating, it makes me think about is this how we look at romance?  We search for it on the menu and think about how it's cooked and whether we feel like indulging in it or not?  And what course does the romance belong to?  Are we expecting to see it as a starter, entree, main or dessert?  I guess it depends on what type of romance you're looking for right?  For those of you on a diet - you might be skipping the romance altogether haha.  Can romance come in a protein shake?  Who knows. . .

My yesterday was blue dear
Still I'm a part of you dear
My lonely nights are through dear
Since you said you were mine

Oh, what a difference a day made
There's a rainbow before me
Skies above can't be stormy since that moment of bliss
That thrilling kiss
It's heaven when you find romance on your menu
What a difference a day made
And the difference is you, is you, is you

I hope that you will experience rainbows after storms with that special someone.
It can be overwhelming to think that twenty four little hours can make a difference in your life, so just let it happen.  Be someone else's difference in their twenty four little hours.  Tell someone that you will be theirs.  You can be the difference that makes their day :-)