Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Steal away. . .

Continuing in the vein of some really classic 70s dance hits, I came across this lovely tune.  The music video is entertaining in itself as well as the style of dress, but the music steals the scene for me.

This is the only song that I know from Robbie Dupree.  I think I love this song because it has a strong melodic focus on the keyboard, particularly in the way that it enhances the main melody.  Steal Away to me is a fun song that dares to ask the question - why don't we? 


C'mon and hold me
Just like you told me
Then show me
What I want to know. . . 

Why don't we steal away
Why don't we steal away
Into the night
I know it ain't right

Have you had fantasies about just disappearing with someone off somewhere?  The flirtatious nature of the song with its playful lyrics (well depending on your moral standing right, because the lyrics make light of adultery or having an affair) is totally backed by the equally playful instrumental accompaniment.  But I think the thing I love most of all about 70s bands is definitely the backing vocals from the band.  I am totally fascinated by the backing vocals in songs such as this.  It makes me wonder - did all males in the band know to harmonise in this way?  I don't really see it prevalent in any other period apart from this time?  Where have all the good male backing vocalists gone. . .


It does have a Doobie Brothers, Michael McDonald feel to it and it's probably why I love the vibe to this song. I think it reminds me of a time in songwriting where you could talk about love or relationships without being too explicit.  It definitely had all of the romance firmly attached without the vulgarity of some music of today.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not against profanity (I'm only human) but in the case of sexually explicit lyrics that is degrading to woman - that's where I draw the line.

Don't tease me 
Why don't you please me
Then show me 
What you came here for

I caught you glancing my way 
And I know what you're after
(No second chances tonight)

The bridge is prefaced by the instrumental interlude which is used to heighten the climax that is to come, especially when the entire band comes in holding that long note on "whhhhhhhyyyyyy" in chorus - one of the best parts of the songs for me.

I had a quiet chuckle to myself - what if for example, during that verse when he sings, why don't you show me what you came here for - I immediately thought about a conversation I had with +Alex Hotere-Barnes about making different music videos to match the lyrics.  So for this one, being about to steal away and show him what you came here for - could be to steal away for something ridiculous like a game of chess, Monopoly, Jenga, Twister or some other random activity, other than what the song lyrics suggest.  (I mean it's better than refilming Sting's Every breath you take with the premise being a stalker shown with binoculars singing the song and then being shown in different situations with pictures of his victim plastered all over his bedroom walls, but I digress. . . ).

I apologise for that previous paragraph.
It all made total sense in my mind as I was thinking it, but it might come across as loosely connected and not making one ounce of sense at all.

I'm ok with it - leaving it as is :-)

Why don't we steal away
Why don't we steal away
Why don't we steal away
Why don't we steal away. . . 

I hope that you don't take life too seriously.  I hope that you can laugh at yourself from time to time (goodness knows I laugh at myself all the time - it's just not right to laugh at other people if you can't laugh at yourself first).  And if you can't steal away with someone else, someplace else, just steal away with yourself.  There ain't nothing wrong with that. . .