Friday, 20 March 2015

Pure imagination. . .

This blog post is dedicated to +Alex Hotere-Barnes 

Hold your breath
Make a wish
Count to three. . .

The thing about your imagination is that it's something that only you can control, shape, exercise, craft and enjoy.  I don't think people would imagine negative things (that falls under the category of nightmares doesn't it).  I believe we live in a world that is so super cynical and hell-bent on emphasising people's misfortunes (we actively dwell on it and practice schadenfreude).

One of my favourite magical songs from my childhood is definitely hearing Gene Wilder sing Pure Imagination in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory based on the Roald Dahl classic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  

Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination

 There's nothing more enticing than the thrill of doing things without limits or restrictions.  The music is cleverly written in that the different and constantly changing tempo throughout the song is symbolic of the unpredictable nature of how when imagination takes flight - it is unclear what it will look like, how it will end up.  The sweeping orchestral score help to add to the epic feel of the song, particularly in the sections where the instrumental interludes with the xylophone/glockenspiel intervals dictate the tempo changes between each verse.

We'll begin with a spin
Travelling in the world of my creation
What we'll see will defy
Explanation

As we get older, adults start to stop using their imagination, their creativity and their sense of exploration - particularly if it can't be tied down to logic, can't be explained and devoid of mystery.  Do you think about how when you create things that it will be exciting to show people and even when you finish creating something, you didn't have exact measurements of what you put in, much like a cook who adds pinches of this and sprinkles of that using their intuition and instinctive nature? No? Ok it's just me. . .



If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to change the world, there's nothing to it

This verse speaks to me about the beauty of being able to view the world, your world and the world around you with a positive mindset, with the eyes of an enchanted child, seeing the wonder in all things, seeing the potential in what could be if we could look past the layers and boundaries that threaten to pigeonhole and define us.  Self-determination is a huge part and for me, most likely the final stage in the state of self-awareness and what the Enlightenment was striving towards in its age - the complete knowledge of self.

If you want to change the world and make it a better place for everyone, there is nothing that should hold us back from achieving this.  The fact that we let people hold us back or try to ruin our pathway to achieving the greater good - is an indication of how little imagination we have within ourselves.  We should not let ineffective people stop us, we should not let poor decision-making and just plain selfish greed hinder us from achieving equity and equality.  This utopian world is one of my imagination, and will not come to fruition in my lifetime (sigh).

There is no life I know
To compare with pure imagination
Living there you'll be free
If you truly wish to be. . .

I hope that I will always have my imagination to see me through whatever obstacles and situations that seek to kill my spirit.  I will go there in my mind and talk with those who have gone before me, because they will always live in my imagination until I see them again.  

I am free in my imagination, because I truly wish to be.
What about you?