Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Nice and slow. . .

This blog post is a song request by +Anaru White 

The song opens with the anticipation of what promises to be a night (or afternoon delight, or what starts off as an afternoon delight then extending into when time becomes irrelevant).  Nice and slow follows the story of Usher singing about what he intends to do when he meets his paramour.  

Do you have any songs that you listen to that get you in the "mood for love"?
For me personally, I don't find it so much in the lyrics, but more in the way the lyrics interact and connect with the music and who I was with, that get me in the mood, but also help me to associate those memories with the song.  



It's seven o'clock on the dot
I'm in my drop top cruisin' the streets
I gotta real pretty - pretty little thang that's waiting for me
I pull up 
Anticipating good love
Don't keep me waiting
I got plans to put my hands in places
I never seen girl you know what I mean. . . 

The song is interesting when you watch the music video.  Like most of the video clips by his contemporaries, Usher tries to include the song in some sort of melodrama that plays out.  It takes a lot of getting used to - this music video.  At its worst it's an attempt to include a subplot that involves a kidnapping with ransom to boot, before he is reunited with his paramour (after being beaten and arrested for added measure).  In saying that, the subplot is a great distraction from the pelvic thrusting and groin shots from the floor that try to show a grander view of the singer (actual size is smaller than in real life?).

The rhythmic section in the song comes in the form of a rap where Usher spells out his name (popular technique in r'n'b or hip hop songs where spelling is important and heavily emphasised).  I find this interesting as the pace or tempo of the song is ironically enough nice and slow juxtaposed against the rapid fire rhymes of Usher's intentions. 

Let me take you to a place nice and quiet
There ain't no one there to interrupt
Ain't gotta rush
I just want to take it nice and slow. . .

Are you prepared to take things nice and slow?
Or are you in a hurry to get the 'deed' over and done with?
I see multiple layers in this because we can be talking about the lovemaking that seems to be the obvious representation of the song, but you can also interpret this to mean taking a relationship nice and slow or the desire to be in a relationship or making yourself available to the possibility of being ready for a relationship, but not really being sure what to look for in a partner - who really knows anyway until you take a punt right?  I'm not saying that it's going to be a gamble, but as the great Louis Pasteur once said: "In the fields of observation, chance favours only the prepared mind."  As long as you prepare your mind to be open to the idea of a relationship - chance makes it happen - where - you don't really need to know for sure - just be ready when it does!

Now tell me
Do you wanna get freaky
Cause I'll freak you right I will
I'll freak you like no one has ever made you feel
I'll freak you right I will
I'll freak you right I will
I'll freak you like no one has ever made you feel - yeah. . . 

I hope that you get the chance to 'freak' somebody right.
The most important journey you can take is the one of self-discovery.
Take an interest in your own happiness, even though we live in highly sexualised times, talking about sex is still as ambiguous and tenuous at best.  I guess you'll never go wrong if you take it nice and slow. . .