Monday, 16 March 2015

Jealous. . .

This blog post is dedicated to my buddy +Mana Napara - it's her favourite song right now

Nick Jonas is still a current member of the Jonas Family but a former band member of The Jonas Brothers.  I was never really into the Jonas hype, probably because their demographic was the teen market and I was past that stage of pre-pubescent adoration.  The opening of the song reminds me of Ne Yo's Sexy Love, particularly with the rhythmic section.  The distortion vocal in the background reminds me of Jessica Simpson's A Public Affair - the ultimate girl's night out song - must write about that one sometime. . .

I don't like the way he's looking at you
I'm starting to think you want him too
Am I crazy, have I lost ya?
Even though I know you love me, I can't help it

I turn my chin music up
And I'm puffing my chest
I'm getting red in the face
You can call me obsessed
It's not your fault that they hover
I mean no disrespect 
It's my right to get hellish
I still get jealous

Nick Jonas has explained that the song is about men who feel threatened when other men look at their partners.  To my recollection, this is probably the only song that I know of that has this type of vibe.  I guess because it hasn't been the done thing in the past for men to sing about their feelings of jealousy, being obsessed about their women and ready to pounce on another guy who pays them unwanted attention or even looks at their girl the wrong way.



Cause you're too sexy, beautiful
And everyone wants a taste
And that's why (that's why)
I still get jealous

It sounds like his partner is at least not responsible for the attention that other men are paying her, which makes a nice change from scenarios and situations I've seen with friends and their relationships when we were all just starting to get into relationships - but I put it down to lack of communication and a lack of shared understanding about how you will trust each other and be committed in a relationship.  There has been the odd occasion when guys have been jealous when they had no right to be - because they were already with a partner, but didn't want any other guys being interested in their female friends.  I always found this hilarious and silly. Note to males: don't get jealous when it's not your place to be jealous.  She's your friend - not your girlfriend, partner or wife.  Save the jealousy for your actual significant other.

I wish you didn't have to post it all up
I wish you'd save a little bit just for me
Protective or possessive, yeah
Call it passive or aggressive

It's the danger of social media right and the fine line that it presents.  Guys want other guys to see how 'hot' their girl is, but doesn't want them to see it all.  When it gets to a point in a relationship when a man is dictating what you wear and how to wear it - that's the end of that relationship.  I've been in relationships in the past where guys will like you to wear certain items of clothing that they find appealing, because they want to have you in a crowded room and watch on in admiration (as you look stunning in deep conversation with other people at the social event) while they take note of other people admiring you too.  At the worst of times it was an uncomfortable situation to be in because it felt like you were the  'trophy' that was on display and the guys were quite happy to receive the accolades for the way I looked.  How does that work?  It's probably why I don't like the fixation that society has on physical beauty and outward appearances.  I mean don't get me wrong, there's a difference between looking and feeling your best and completely going overboard by being obsessed over your looks to impress others.  Note to the girls: dress for you, not for others.

You're the only one invited
I said there's no one else for you
'Cause you know I get excited, yeah
When you get jealous too

I hope you find yourself in a relationship where you don't need to be equally jealous of each other, but that in fact, you are both extremely proud of how beautiful your significant other is, proud to know that they are yours and that even if people do look at them, there would be no need to puff up your chest and go red in the face, but that you're just excited by the love you share, rather than the jealousy you hold. . .