Monday, 23 March 2015

Count on me. . .

This blog post is dedicated to those who need me as much as I need them. . . 

I really love Bruno Mars and his music.  I feel that he has an instinctive natural flair for writing - I love his word painting and how he can make the words cry with the melodies that he attaches to them.

If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea
I'll sail the world to find you
If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see
I'll be the light to guide you

You can count on me like 1, 2, 3

I'll be there
And you know it
I can count on you like 4, 3, 2
You'll be there
Cause that's what friends are supposed to do oh yeah
Oooooh, oooooh yeah, yeah 

It's nice to find some decent friendship songs that let people know that they can rely on you as much as you can rely on them.  You could be fooled for thinking that it's extremely easy and straight forward to be able to rely on people, but as we all know - actions speak louder than words.  It's simple enough to make promises and make people think that you are reliable and can be counted on - but there will be those times when you won't call out for help, but people, if they know you well enough, will be able intuitively pick up on the fact that you need them.  Friends know when to give space and when to rush in where angels fear to tread.  It's that sense of loyalty that you expect above all else.  I guess at the end of the day - are you willing to stand up and defend your friends at your own expense because it was the right thing to do?  


If you're tossin' and you're turnin'
And you just can't sleep
I'll sing a song beside you
And if you ever forget how much you really mean to me
Everyday I will remind you

You'll always have my shoulder when you cry

I'll never let go, never say goodbye
You know. . . 

Have you ever had some moments in your life when your friends have been there for you in a way where they have "ridden through a storm" for you?  (It's the past participle of 'to ride', I checked ha!). I remember one incident vividly where a group of friends staged an intervention because I had really lost the plot at that time.  It was perhaps the only time that has ever happened to me (the intervention), and it was actually a stormy night too, so it was double the impact you know, but one incident I will never forget.  Having them come and see me during that time showed me how much they were willing to show me how much I meant to them (still mean to them).  Intervention aside, there was the stealth situation which required some delicate work from a couple of other friends.  I'm grateful for those two specific gestures and use those as exemplars or the pinnacles of friendship with my friends.  Nothing like historical precedents to set the bar high for all other contexts of friendship to follow.

I hope that my friends know that I will be there for them in a heartbeat.  I have had some instances where my friends have said that they were just about to text, Voxer or call me - it's like we're on the same wavelength and can sense when we need each other - for whatever reason.  Sometimes you don't even need to have a reason other than, you know when someone wants you to be there for them, to lend an ear to listen or to extend your arms to embrace them in a well timed hug or growl them off when they need to see or hear sense.

Find out what we're made of
When we are called to help our friends in need. . .