Sunday, 22 March 2015

Cough Syrup. . .

This blog post is for people who need to understand that life is too short. . . 

I don't know about you, but I've been thinking a lot about taking "medicine" for what ails me,  The medicine I use loosely in terms of finding things or people or situations where being immersed in that medicine starts to put you on the pathway to healing, it makes you feel better and then better able to function in your world.  Young the Giant sings today's track Cough syrup.  

Life's too short to even care at all, oh
I'm losing my mind losing my mind losing control, oh oh
These fishes in the sea they're staring at me oh oh
Oh oh oh oh 
A wet world aches for the beat of a drum
Oh 

I'm starting to realise that there are no longer many constants in life.
I never dreamed as a young girl that I would get married when I was older, I know this because I didn't have the fantasies of the white weddings that my peers had growing up.  I wasn't that boy crazy in comparison to other girls my age at my all-girls high school, and I think this was largely due to the strict upbringing that I had from my parents, so I learned never to hope or wish for things that were not attainable.  My attitude has since shifted in this respect.  I also never dreamed that I would be a widow at such a young age compared to my contemporaries who are still married or getting engaged or getting married.  I'm still a work in progress in this respect, but I will always have the private grieving time because that's normal and I'm ok with that,

If I could find a way to see this straight
I'd run away
To some fortune that I, I should have found by now

I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down, come down


It is easy to think that when we were younger, we had our life mapped out in milestones or at least we had a fair idea of where we should be at certain touchstones in our lives.  We started to realise that this was a learned behaviour from when we were children, they were ways of living that we inherited from our parents about how we were able to measure our success if we reached those yardsticks sooner, rather than later.  The older we grew, we quickly realised that things and circumstances changed as quickly as we changed our minds about what to wear to impress a first date.




Life's too short to even care at all oh, oh
I'm coming up now, coming up now out of the blue, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
These zombies in the park they're looking for my heart 
A dark world aches for a splash of the sun, oh, oh

I know now that I don't need to let any zombies come near me and try to tell me how to feel, who to associate with and how to "be" in the world.  These zombies are remnants from my past that haven't learned to move on with their own lives and I'm getting better at sweeping these entities back to the rocks that they crawled out from under.  I know now that if I continue to be the light in whatever context I find myself in, that I am ready to shine for others who might also need some sunlight in their worlds.  Why would you want to be anything else for others who are in need of some vitamin A and D?
And so I run now to the things they said could restore me

Restore life the way it should be
I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down

I hope that whatever medicine you choose to take, that they act like vitamins and keep you happy and healthy.  I hope that you find some restoration in your life, when you go to actually rebuild the "you" that you once were, that you come back even stronger and better than you've ever been, because you deserve it.  I hope that the cough syrup you take tastes good.  There's no point in swallowing that yucky Vick's Formula 44 anymore when there is a whole range of other flavours to choose from that better suit your mood.

One more spoon of cough syrup now, whoa. . .