Thursday, 26 March 2015

Break my stride. . .

Break my stride is the biggest single of Matthew Wilder's career.  The message behind it is one of not looking back and cutting yourself a break by disassociating from negative influences (in this case a woman) but hey, we all know that it can apply to whoever it takes meaning for in your own life.

Last night I had the strangest dream
I sailed away to China
In a little row boat to find ya
And you said you had to get your laundry cleaned
Didn't want no-one to hold you
What does that mean
And you said

It is natural to not want to be micromanaged or be kept tabs on, particularly in a relationship.  Issues of trust arise and you start to wonder whether there is any faith or love that dwells there.  In a work environment, I believe it comes down to a matter of perception.  It is definitely hard to communicate with people who don't listen, choose not to listen and most likely need their eyes, mouth and kneecaps busted - but that's not the civilised way of dealing with conflict.  Instead, trying for open communication and conflict resolution is key - but of course it needs to be the united desire of the parties involved to want to resolve an issue.  Have you ever been subjected to unfair treatment for something you never provoked?  Call it retaliatory or trying to hide behind the fences that you're scrambling to sit on, but you can only do so much.


You're on a roll and now you pray it lasts
The road behind was rocky
But now you're feeling cocky
You look at me and you see your past
Is that the reason why you're runnin' so fast

There's something that just stabs you sideways when you think about how someone from your past is persistent in trying to be a part of your present.  Everyone knows that your actions of your past have lead you to where you are now, and that the actions of the present will dictate where you will be in the future.  When people try to come back into your life and create some Venn diagrams in your world without your permission - it makes you wonder - why are they there?  What purpose do they serve?  Is there some unfinished business or is this the opportunity to quickly nip this in the bud and make the calls that should've been made some moons ago.

Never let another girl like you, work me over
Never let another girl like you, drag me under
If I meet another girl like you, I will tell her
Never want another girl like you, have to say oh!

I don't think I've ever been the girl in the verse above.  I know I have certainly come across some males who fit the description.  Nobody in their right mind should allow someone to work them over, or drag them over.  The verse almost acts like a series of affirmations about what you want to have happen, like promises that you make to yourself after you've been mistreated, verbally and/or physically abused for so long.  You've allowed them to hurt you so much that you're not even sure whether it's unacceptable to be treated in this way.  

Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down 
Oh-no, I've got to keep on movin' 
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh-no, I've got to keep on movin'

I hope that you don't let anyone deter you from speaking the truth. 
I hope that you don't let anyone talk over you and not even have the courtesy to listen.
I hope that you continue to hit the ground running, even when people try to trip you up and want you to fall on the ground.  Oh-no, I've got to keep on movin'. . .