Thursday, 26 March 2015

Believe. . .

This blog post is for me really. . . trying to reconcile the fact that everything I do - is for love. . . 

I've written about Sir Elton John in previous blog posts (see I guess that's why they call it the blues and Home again).  I have commented previously on how well his partnership with his lyricist Bernie Taupin has produced some of the most memorable songs of our time.

I believe in love, it's all we got
Love has no boundaries, costs nothing to touch
War makes money, cancer sleeps
Curled up in my father and it means something to me
Churches and dictators, politics and papers
Everything crumbles sooner or later
But love, I believe in love

I don't know about you, but for Pasifika (Pacific Island) families - a lot of what we do is for the love of family.  The fourth line in the above verse resonates quite strongly with me, with the particular reference to my father.  A lot of what I do is to serve him, my family and all the communities I am in.

I have come to realise that everything that I am and do - stems from my familial obligation to serve.  It can be challenging at times, but I fully recognise that as part of my identity - I choose this lifestyle because I believe that it is my destiny to serve in this way.  I can only lead where I serve from love.



I believe in love, it's all we got
Love has no boundaries, no borders to cross
Love is simple, hate breeds
Those who think difference is the child of disease
Father and son make love and guns
Families together kill someone
Without love, I believe in love

The instrumental interlude after this verse allows the listener the time to reflect on the instances where they see love, or where love is absent.  I think what I like most about the song is the fact that ultimately, we get to choose love.  We choose whether we want to love ourselves, love others, love people in general if we want to make a difference in the world - a positive difference.  Even when our world may be consumed by the daily dramas and dilemmas that push us to shut down opportunities for love, kill our own family members (figuratively speaking) while we read newspaper articles that are peppered with stories of family members literally killing each other - those instances are all because love is absent, love isn't there, those are worlds where it is without love.

Without love, I wouldn't believe
In anything that lives and breathes
Without love I'd have no anger
I wouldn't believe in the right to stand here
Without love I wouldn't believe
I couldn't believe in you
And I wouldn't believe in me
Without love

It is interesting to know how love motivates us to act.
Does it spur you to continue with more genuine, good and kind acts of love, or does it spur you to continue with more perverse, twisted and cruel acts of love?  It totally depends on people's definitions of what good love and bad love means and how we perceive them to be in the practices that we engage in.  They say love is simple but it can be quite complex.  How you choose to perpetuate love, whether it will be inclusive and allow people to pass on love to others - whether it will allow you to stand up for yourself and for others, be the voice of reason, be the voice of change, that agent of change who because you love, because you choose to share love for the benefit of others - your expressions of love in the way that you think, talk, act and feel - will ensure that love is in safe hands,  Your hands.

I believe in love
I believe in love
I believe in love

I hope that you believe in love.
If there was anything that was ever worth having in this world that I know was sent to us from another world, another universe, another galaxy, from heaven - it would be love.

These lines, regardless of the repetition and the drone effect given by the strings at the end of the song (which actually gives an eerie effect of a wasteland in my mind, with the dust trying to settle. . .).

Without love I wouldn't believe
I couldn't believe in you
And I wouldn't believe in me
Without love. . . 

So choose love,  Let all your actions speak about love, be ingrained in love.
I'm not saying this in what the cynics would be in a trippy hippy love-the-world kind of way.
I'm saying this in the sense that - if you really want to make sense of your world, your purpose in life and what should be the centre of happiness for you - it's love.

So choose love - because if I imagine a world without love, then I know I'm actually living in hell. . .