Tuesday, 24 February 2015

If I ever lose my faith in you. . .

This blog post is dedicated to everybody who has ever lost faith in someone or something. . . 

You could say I lost my faith in science and progress
You could say I lost my faith in the holy church
You could say I lost my sense of direction
You could all of this and worse but

If I ever lose my faith in you 
There'd be nothing left for me to do

There have been a series of events that have caused me to lose faith in so many things.  The tricky thing is trying to pull yourself from that precipice and end up tumbling from that cliff.  It seemed for a time that the only direction I could envision going was down - deep deep down in a downward spiral in a downturn in the most downtown lowdown dirty part of town.

The chorus of the song is only two lines, deceptively simple in structure, but loaded with so much meaning.  If I ever lose my faith in you, There'd be nothing left for me to do. Actually there would be something left for me to do, I wouldn't place my faith in you anymore.  I would stop trusting you, stop confiding in you, stop relying on you, because you have shown what it is not to trust, to not confide, and to not rely.  That's all there is left - nothing.



Some would say I was a lost man in a lost world
You could say I lost my faith in people on TV
You could say I've lost my belief in our politicians
They all seemed like game show hosts to me

I could be lost inside their lies without a trace
But every time I close my eyes I see your face

I've written about Sting in a previous blog post (see Fields of gold).  Even though I'm writing thism I have managed to restore my faith and my hope in myself and in humanity.  But to see the world the way it is being so lost, particularly when we have politicians who think that sending troops into war, even if it's only 143 (why that specific number?  and 143 soldiers is 143 more than the number I would've sent to fight in a war that isn't ours to fight).  They do look like game show hosts to me, because they're playing with people's lives here, people's families - people.  Don't tell me it's not easy to send soldiers into war, even if those soldiers say that it was what they are trained to do.  If you want to go to war - then why don't you lead then and send yourself.    

I never saw no miracle of science
That didn't go from a blessing to a curse 
I never saw no military solution
That didn't always end up as something worse but
Let me say this first

If I ever lose my faith in you 
There'd be nothing left for me to do

I guess we will have to wait and see whether particular decisions and courses of action help to make some shift or some positive difference.  Losing faith is something hard to reclaim, but I'm thankful that all it takes sometime is a for a little ray of hope to shine through in the darkest of situations to appear after that cataclysm - why do we wait for disaster to hit?  Why don't we take preventative measures anymore, but instead go into situations to exacerbate issues and make things worse?  It's definitely a case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread.  Those fools have pretty big clown shoes.  And you know what they say about people who wear big shoes. . .  they have big socks.

So even when I've lost faith in you, I can at least smile and remember that I have faith in me. . .