Monday, 23 February 2015

I won't back down. . .

I first came across Tom Petty in 1989 with one of his solo albums Full Moon Fever.  I wasn't aware that he had enjoyed previous success as Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers until I listened to more of their music as an adult.  He produced music around the same time as Bruce Springsteen and Bob Seger. Today's track is I won't back down.

Well I won't back down, no I won't back down
You could stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

There will be moments in your life where you will need to dig your heels in and stand up for yourself.  You might be reluctant to do at first, particularly when you are not in the habit of doing so but purely for the fact that you will probably have to stand up for yourself and not back down, all by yourself.  Even with the threat of imminent danger, you would be willing to face your enemy or a challenge head on and rage against the wind (or the machine) and be prepared to watch the chips fall where they may.  I wonder what you will find once the dust starts to settle again?  Will you still be standing tall, standing your ground and not backing down?


Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from dragging me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down

There's nothing worse than coming face to face with your deepest darkest fears.  They could take the shape of another human being or another force equally difficult to be reckoned with - but we all know that this is a necessary part of you growing in strength and character - it is a necessary rite of passage.   There is no easy way out when it comes to those pivotal moments - so why try to run away?  Everyone knows once you start to run, you'll be running for the rest of your life - or you could end up being a professional runner with all of that running that you're doing.   

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

Everyone knows what's right for themselves.  I may not necessarily agree with people on how they choose to see things but I'm fine to agree to disagree.  One pet peeve I have noticed rising to the surface a bit more lately, has been other people's penchant to argue, for the sake of arguing - but there is no point to the debate or argument in question.  There is a purpose to everything and I find myself having little patience for people who can't explain the purpose of a debate or an argument - where there needn't be one.  So it begs the question - why are we arguing?  And why should I back down to you when you're constantly trying to push me around, when I've done nothing but be supportive and nurturing?  

Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down
No, I won't back down. . . 

So for the record, if you're being pushed around, stand your ground.
I for one will not be prepared to back down, especially when situations or occasions call for me to stand my ground.  How I know it's time to stand my ground?  There comes a point when a woman decides - you know what - well I know what's right, I got just one life. . .