Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Family ties. . . .

The silky tones of Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams sang to us weekly in Aotearoa on an 80s TV sitcom called Family Ties.  I have fond memories of this show.  I found Michael J. Fox's portrayal of Alex P. Keaton a stunning tribute to young Republicans everywhere.  I would recognise his character in many young men I became friends with in school growing up.  (There are some adults I recognise with the same character traits too).  I loved the show so much that I even adopted Meredith Baxter-Birney's name as a middle name for myself.  I remember this because I would write her name over and over on my class exercise books when daydreaming about being part of the Keaton family.

I bet we've been together
And I bet we'll be together for a million more
It's like I started dreaming on the night we kissed
And I can't remember what I ever did before

Family sitcoms taught us about life in families - the good times, the bad times and opportunities for us to learn about each other and more importantly ourselves.  The opening bars are distinctive anywhere I hear it.  I often play 80s TV theme competitions with friends and this is by far the most popular TV theme in the mix. I guess it has to do something with the rhythm guitar motif strumming away and the percussion that plays the syncopated answer segment.  But the ending gets me every time - sha la la la.  They don't write good songs like this anymore, particularly TV themes where you can sing along and



What'll we do baby without us?
What'll we do baby without us?
What will we do baby without us?
And there aint no nothing we can't love each other through (ooh ooh)
What will we do baby without us?
Sha la la la. . . 

I hope that you make the most of your family ties.
There will be times when you wish that you weren't related to your own family and design your own life that doesn't include them in it.  You could be forgiven for doing that, especially if they are super demanding and have no real understanding of what your passions are in life and how they can support you.  If that's the case, then I hope you take some time out and spend time away from them so taht you miss them and learn to appreciate them.

For others, they've been away too long and have learned to get on with their lives without us. . .