Monday, 19 January 2015

Walk. . .

This blog post is dedicated to +Tamara Bell 

Today's blog post focuses on Walk by the Foo Fighters.


A million miles away
Your signal in the distance
To whom it may concern
I think I lost my way
Getting good at starting over
Every time that I return. . . 

It's normal to experience the post-holiday blues when you return to work after spending time with loved ones and family.  It might take a while for you to regain your bearings and think about how to start over again.  I'm sure like me, it's trying to muster that inner motivation again to crack on with things that need your attention, people that need your focus . . .

Learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?
Learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

The chorus definitely gives that heightened sense of excitement that to me is what good choruses do.
There seems to be mixed emotions here, depends on whether you escalate the scale of the emotions, singing the lyrics more softly, or more loudly as it is done later in the song, but I could probably just boil it down to the rhetorical questions about where to begin your life again.  I don't think I want to be stuck in a traffic jam for longer than I need to.  Sometimes it is just easier to get out of the car and walk away and get to where you need to be, faster, on foot.

Do you remember the days
We built these paper mountains
Then sat and watched them burn
I think I found my place
Can't you feel it growing stronger
Little conquerors. . . 

It almost feels whimsical and carefree here, as if you're reflecting on your past and what was.
Do you want to revisit those seemingly safer places in your past?  Would it help to visit there so that you knew where you needed to be heading.  It might give you some sense of direction that you're waiting to receive.  Once you start to regain some strength, those minor victories and small triumphs will start to accumulate, gain momentum until you push further ahead.

Now 
For the very first time
Don't you pay no mind
Set me free again

But why wait for someone to set you free?  Can you set yourself free?  It could be that the very person that you're waiting to set you free was the very same person who imprisoned you in the first place.  That's not only messed up, but more often than not, it's your reality.

You keep alive a moment at a time
But still inside whisper to a riot
To sacrifice but knowing to survive
I'm on my knees, praying for a sign
Forever, whenever
I never wanna die
I never wanna die
I never wanna die
I'm on my knees
I never wanna die
I'm dancing on my grave
And running through the fire. . . 

No Foo Fighters track is complete without the head banging moments that the chorus provides, complete with accented offbeats and drum fills, the power chords from the rhythm guitar, the constant quaver pattern in the bassline and the melodic motifs played by Dave Grohl from time to time.  The signature octave high vocals shows the versatility of his lead vocal, something that some lead vocalists from other bands are not able to achieve. I hope that at some point, particularly at your own breaking point or tipping point, that you're able to scream at the top of your lungs  It pays to scream like nobody's listening. . .