Sunday, 25 January 2015

Since you've asked. . .

Since you've asked by Judy Collins is not one of the songs that normally springs to mind when you think about this music legend.  You normally associate her with Send in the clowns or Both sides now, both songs that I've heard in many movie soundtracks over the years, played during those montages between scenes or during poignant scenes that required songs to articulate what mere lines in a film couldn't quite encompass.


What I'll give you since you've asked
Is all my time together
Take the rugged sunny days
The warm and rocky weather
Take the roads that I have walked along
Looking for tomorrow's time
Peace of mind. . . 

Is this what the journey to gaining peace of mind looks like?  A trip down many, down various memory lanes that are moments in time where you collected and even created those moments.  Is tomorrow's time the peace of mind that we can't encapsulate in one single moment, but in fact one continuous line of time, putting all of those moments together to create that lifetime of tomorrow's peace of mind?  Personally I think it's quite fascinating to think that peace of mind can be a collection of all of the moments where your mind has been most at ease and you can go and visit that 'happy place' several times a day, particularly when you are faced with challenging and difficult times.


As my life spills into yours
Changing with the hours
Filling up the world with time
Turning time to flowers
I can show you all the songs
That I never sang to one man before

Exactly how I felt when I listened to Souvenir by Billy Joel, it's those feelings of memories being contained in images because they can physically frame the memories for other people to see (if you choose to show them), I've been busy showing people some of the songs of my life.  It has been an uplifting, almost an exhale of breath with this sense of release where I can feel comfortable to share my music with more people than just my immediate 'circle of trust'.  There have been many songs that I have written for more than one person and it is always interesting to hear people's feedback on what they particularly like about a song, what it reminds them of, thus creating a new memory for me associated with a song.

The piano playing in this track sings to me as well.
I think it's because I'm a pianist so I'm naturally drawn to music that shows off the beauty of the piano.  There's something about instrumental introductions, instrumental interludes that add something extra to a piece of music.  The music in this track reminds me of Debussy with its chordal accompaniment and the motifs played in the upper octaves of the piano.

We have seen a million stones lying by the water
You have climbed the hills with me
To the mountain shelter
Taken off the days one by one
Setting them to breathe in the sun

Take the lilies and the lace
From the days of childhood
All the willow winding paths
Leading up and outward
This is what I give
This is what I ask you for
Nothing more. . . 

I imagine that this song is a response to a question that a man must have asked.
Only because you're going to show him all the songs that you've never sung to one before.
It makes me wonder what the question is.
I have a hunch that the question might be What do you want from me?
Because the title of the song suggests that something must be answered in the course of a conversation (or an argument) Since you've asked.

But the perfect answer is found in the last lines of the song:
This is what I give
This is what I ask you for
Nothing more. . . 

I hope that if you are having some troubles in your life, that you find peace of mind.
I hope that someone is able to take you on some journeys through various memory lanes to find peace of mind.  I also hope that peace of mind finds you in tomorrow's time. . .