Saturday, 3 January 2015

Rebel, rebel. . .

I've written about David Bowie in previous blog posts (see "As the world falls down" and "Space Oddity"). Today's blog post features his single Rebel, rebel.  As a child I found him to be a polarising performer, one of the few artists I could watch as intently as I would Michael Jackson.  There aren't many artists these days that can captivate audiences like these legends (special effects don't cut it for me).

You've got your mother in a whirl
She's not sure if you're a boy or a girl

The recent New Year's festivities that have taken place around the world brought to mind some previous recollections of the New Year's festivities of my past.  I've had several conversations with people where they have felt completely alone in a room full of people, or they're not living the lives they always dreamed of living.  I've also had several conversations with people over my holiday break that I have admired, and have told them how brave I thought they were for actions taken in the past that have lead them to their current reality.  It's funny how Sliding Doors no longer feels like a film when their reality touches yours.  The above lyrics hint to me about rebellious teen years where girls test the limits to the boundaries that mothers make, how you put your own mother in a spin for your gender-blurring antics.




Hey babe, your hair's alright
Hey babe, let's go out tonight
You like me, and I like it all
We like dancing and we look divine

It doesn't from time to time to go out and let your hair down.  I often think that sometimes we can get too serious about life and we need to blow off some steam, spend time with people who can get us back on track, help us to recover our equilibrium.  The thing about dancing in a venue where dancing is expected, is to not worry too much about other people around you and just enjoy the dance with whoever you're dancing with.  Worrying too much about other people inhibits your natural state of dancing and messes up your dance moves anyway, so you have to try and get your groove back by listening to the rhythm again.

You love bands when they're playing hard
You want more and you want it fast
They put you down, they say I'm wrong
You tacky thing, you put them on

There's nothing more entertaining to me than seeing live music being performed - artists, bands, choirs, orchestras, ensembles, musicals in any type of venue.  When you can admit to yourself about how much more you want in life, and how fast you want it, you will set about making your life the way you want it.  I understand that the only thing that I can control in my life - is myself.  How I choose to be in the world, how I choose to interact with others in the world, how I choose to think, feel, say, write, create, laugh and cry in the world.  What people may perceive to be tacky in me, others may perceive to be classy, everything is relative and dependent on people's taste and how you make them feel about themselves and their places in the world.

What do you wanna know Calamity's child?
Where'd you wanna go?
What can I do for you? Looks like you've been there too. . . 

I hope that you will be a rebel wherever you are.
That you choose how you think, feel, say, write, create, laugh and cry in the world.
Even when my face is a mess and my dress is torn, I'll still smile and be a rebel knowing that you still love me so . . .