Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Letting go. . .

This blog post is dedicated to me :-)
This is my 250th music blog post xxx

I've written about Maisey Rika in previous blog posts (see Reconnect and Tangaroa Whakamautai). I also included a video clip of Aotearoa by Stan Walker in which she features with Ria Hall and Troy Kingi.  Letting Go is the third track from her brilliant EP released in 2009.

Out having a good time and I'm letting go
Still dropping that beat loud and I'm letting you go
Out having a good time and I'm letting you go

I picked a special song that depicts the current stage of my life.
Letting go of someone can be a difficult process.  Letting go of the past and surging forward can not only be challenging, but daunting and downright scary.  I have learned in a relatively short space of time that you need to let go quickly sometimes, not to avoid the pain, but because it is a necessary part of growing up.  Things and people do not remain in this world.  We must be prepared to let go.


Give inhibitions the corner
This lady's found a new poison
She surrenders life to the music
Giving the eye to the DJ
Take the hint and proceed to play my song
My song, oh

Recently I have had some interesting interactions with live music.  Found in dingy bars and clubs, I have lost myself in the music, so I totally understand how the lady in the song has found a new poison - because surrendering her life to the music means that she is letting go of her inhibitions enough to be able to surrender, to give in, to finally experience the music with abandon.

It's interesting dancing with strangers isn't it.

So I danced with a stranger last Friday night and I definitely let go.

I sat across from him, dancing at the table.  He had just sat down with a couple of friends.
I was in my own world - oblivious to the audience that had just formed.  My friend sat next to me.
Waving my hands in the air, waving them like I just didn't care - he exclaimed - "Right let's go".
He grabbed my arm and dragged me through the throng of people, marching over to the other side.
When we finally hit the dance floor, I forgot he was even there.  A few twirls reminded me he was.
I don't think he was expecting it, but he was pleasantly surprised at how much I let go.
While we were dancing, he asked if I had been to this place before, I replied no.
I don't like talking while dancing.  I will accept lip synching - because you're still lost in the music.

I have had many songs over this journey of writing through music and each song has allowed me the space to think critically about the impact of the song not only in my life, but in the situations of those around me, who for the most part, have inspired the song selections.

And I said, I said
Gone are my days of waiting for you
I'm in love again, I'mma live again, baby
Gone are my days of waiting for you
I'm in love again, I'mma live again
'Cause I need to tell you baby
I've been locked up too long. . .

You can choose to take the lyrics literally - is she singing about a lost love?
Or you can choose to imagine that you are singing to yourself.
You are in love with yourself again - who you are and you are going to finally live life again.

In the music video Maisey is finally moving on with her life leaving her city dwelling, leaving Albert Park (University of Auckland. . . sigh. . . ) and the various city streets that she rides along at the back of the ute.  This is how we ride utes in Samoa - sitting in the back of the truck, with the wind in our hair (but most likely dirt on our faces too, as it can get quite dusty on those beaten tracks and inland roads).  The video clip speaks to me about when you are letting go, where do you find yourself ending up?  Where does letting go take you?  Does it take you to some far off place where you find peace?  Does it take you down those familiar paths, those well travelled roads back home again?

Take the weight off my shoulders
I feel the wind on my face
Everyday I grow older
No longer am I afraid. . . 

I hope that you dance with strangers more often.  If anything it teaches me about letting go more often too.  It teaches me about not being so worried and over thinking things too much.  It teaches me to just feel the music, fall into the music, be lost in the music and become part of the music so that in the end you are the music. . . My song, oh. . .